Missing New York Woman Returns Home, Police Say

July 6, 2016 Updated: July 6, 2016

Rachael Mattice, the 24-year-old woman from upstate New York who had been missing for two weeks, was found on Wednesday, according to her family and friends.

In a live-streamed press conference on Wednesday, State Police Capt. Robert Patnaude said Mattice indicated to officials that she was held against her will for the last two weeks, and she did not escape.

On Wednesday, she “showed up this morning,” he said.

Patnaude said officials are still looking for the person who dropped Mattice off, saying she wasn’t taken directly to her mother’s home and had to walk to get there. Mattice told investigators she didn’t know who dropped her off.

Nobody was taken into custody.

Friends and family members commented on her being found.

June Mattice Robinson, Rachael’s cousin, seemingly confirmed the development on Facebook, “This is better than winning the lottery!! I love you Rachael Mattice,” and in a later post she wrote, that people should “take a moment and be thankful that she is home and alive.”

Another cousin, Ron Mattice, wrote on Facebook, “Rachael has been found and is alive! Normally I dread a call at 1:00 in the morning, but this is the best news I could have ever imagined! I don’t have any other details other than that she was taken to the hospital and I am told will be OK. I huge thank you to everyone who has helped the past 2 weeks. Rachael is back with her family!”

In a statement, Hamilton County Sheriff Karl Abrams confirmed Ron Mattice’s post.

She returned home to her home in Johnston and had been “medically evaluated at a local hospital. She appears to be in good condition. There is still currently an active investigation on going,” Abrams told CNYCentral.com.

Mattice’s case drew nationwide attention after country singer Shania Twain tweeted about her.

She disappeared from her family’s remote camp in the Adirondacks Mountain in Wells, Hamilton County, on June 22. Her father went to the camper two days after the family didn’t hear from her and found that she was missing.