Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz will self-quarantine after learning he came into contact with a person who later tested positive for the new CCP virus.
The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the COVID-19 disease, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mishandling allowed the virus to spread throughout China and create a global pandemic.
Walz said on Twitter on Monday that he learned he came into contact with someone who has the new illness. Despite showing no symptoms, he will remain at home for two weeks.
“The most important thing Minnesotans can do to stop the spread of COVID-19 is to stay home,” Walz said in a statement. “I’m using this as an opportunity to lead by example. Though I’m feeling healthy and not showing any symptoms, I’m going to work from home and model the protocol we are asking all Minnesotans to follow.”
The person who tested positive was described as a member of the governor’s security detail. The person tested positive late Sunday.
Walz was in close proximity to the person late last week, his office said.
No governors in the nation have tested positive for the new disease and Walz appeared to be the first to enter quarantine after possible exposure.
Some states have ordered people to stay at home, with exceptions for essential trips, but Minnesota has not. The state did order on March 15 the closure of all schools for at least eight days. The state Department of Health, meanwhile, has advised people to work remotely when possible.
“Because our state must maintain essential services, not every Minnesotan is able to stay home,” Walz said in a statement. “Those of us who are able to work from home must do so out of respect to our health care professionals, first responders, pharmacists, grocers, child care providers, and all Minnesotans who are working to keep us safe during this crisis.”
Walz’s announcement came after Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) said her husband tested positive for COVID-19. John is in quarantine, she said.
Klobuchar said she will not be tested and will not go into quarantine.
Minnesota has 169 confirmed COVID-19 cases among the over 4,600 residents who have been tested.
Walz had a press conference scheduled later Monday to give updates on the state’s situation.