Michael Chong says he will not be entering the Conservative leadership race.
The longtime Ontario MP and 2017 leadership contender had left the door open to the possibility of another run.
Chong tweeted today that after some reflection he decided not to enter the contest.
He says “now is not the time” and as the party’s critic for foreign affairs he wants to remain focused on his file.
Chong says he will help elect a Conservative leader who is “ready for the serious challenges of our times.”
Four candidates are running to replace former leader Erin O’Toole so far, including former Quebec premier Jean Charest.
High-profile Ottawa-area MP Pierre Poilievre has also mounted a bid, as well as Leslyn Lewis, a rookie MP from Ontario who ran in the last leadership race, and Independent Ontario MPP Roman Baber.
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown is also expected to launch his campaign on Sunday.