A President Donald Trump campaign adviser said Monday that people should watch Nevada this week as the campaign prepares to depose witnesses in an election-related case.
“The state to watch this week is the state of Nevada,” said White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who is also a Trump campaign adviser.
“We have been granted discovery and what that means, in the litigation world is this. We are now allowed to depose witnesses. And, notably, Democrats have been fighting tooth and nail for us to not be able to depose witnesses, not to be able to investigate and ask questions. We finally have been granted that in Nevada.”
The judge overseeing the case, Law et. al v. Whitmer et. al, last week ruled the campaign can depose up to 15 witnesses. Jesse Binnall, a Trump campaign lawyer, told the judge the witnesses include whistleblowers who will provide testimony “showing that overnight, the disks that were used to hold votes would magically have votes appear and reappear on the same desk.”
When the judge granted the depositions, McEnany said, “our two attorneys were suddenly matched by 10 attorneys from Perkins Coie—who did Fusion GPS and the dossier, notably—and the top attorney in the nation, if you want to throw out election integrity, is a guy named Marc Elias.”
“Marc Elias is put on the top of the case,” she said.
McEnany was speaking on Fox News’ “Hannity.”
Fusion GPS is a private firm that was contracted by Perkins Coie on behalf of Hillary Clinton’s campaign and the Democratic National Committee. Fusion GPS contracted ex-British spy Christopher Steele, who was partial to Clinton and against Trump, to produce an unsubstantiated dossier that was used by federal intelligence agencies to spy on Trump’s campaign.
Elias and other attorneys from Perkins Coie, a powerful firm based in Washington, before the Nevada judge’s ruling, issued a filing urging the court not to grant the depositions.
The campaign hopes to turn up “evidence of their far-fetched and baseless allegations,” the attorneys wrote. In a separate filing, they asked for the dismissal of the suit. Trump campaign lawyers responded by saying the contestants “attempt to spin a lawful and legal election contest into a mockery of jurisprudence.”
The Trump campaign submitted their witness list to the court but the list hasn’t been made public. The next hearing in the case is scheduled for Dec. 3.
Nevada certified its results last week for Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden.
Binnall told Newsmax after the judge’s ruling: “The evidence that we are going to present is going to be compelling, will be extremely strong, showing that the result of Nevada was wrong when it was certified to go for Joseph Biden, because, in fact, Donald Trump is the one who won Nevada.”