Maryland High School Shooter Confirmed Dead After Being Shot by Armed Officer

March 20, 2018 Updated: March 20, 2018

The Maryland high school student who opened fire at his school on Tuesday is dead, police confirmed during a press conference.

The shooter’s identity has not been released.

The shooting took place around 8 a.m. on March 20, at Great Mills High School in southern Maryland, about 60 miles southeast of Washington, D.C.

St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron said that the shooter was rushed to the hospital but was soon pronounced dead.

Cameron said that the armed school resource officer, who is a sheriff’s deputy, exchanged fire with the shooter when he confronted him.

The officer may have hit the student, though Cameron said an investigation would examine that detail. If the officer’s bullet didn’t hit the shooter, then the shooter killed himself, the sheriff said.

“When the shooting took place, our school resource officer, who was stationed inside the school, was alerted to the event and the shots being fired. He pursued the shooter and engaged the shooter, during which that engagement he fired a round at the shooter,” Cameron said, reported The Associated Press.

“Simultaneously the shooter fired a round as well. So, in the hours to come, in the days to come, through a detailed investigation, we will be able to determine if our SRO’s round struck the shooter.”

On the other hand, the shooter did not hit the resource officer.

Before being shot, the shooter left two students wounded, one female and one male.

The female is in critical but stable condition while the male is in critical but “good” condition, Cameron said. The boy is being treated at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital, while the female was initially there but was later rushed to UM Prince George’s Hospital Center.

The students were shot in the hallway before first period started. The shooter used a handgun.

“This is what we train for, this is what we prepare for, and this is what we hope we never have to do,” Cameron said.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said in a statement that officials are still investigating the shooting.

“I want to express my deepest gratitude to the St. Mary County Sheriff’s Office and all of the first responders who swiftly and bravely took action to secure the school,” he said. “The First Lady and I are praying for those who were injured, their families and loved ones, and for the entire Great Mills community as they come together to heal in the wake of this horrific situation.”

The sheriff said that the investigation will include officials “comb[ing] through” social media threats made to the school around a month ago.


Recommended Video:

Firefighter Going Over 100 mph Before Deadly Crash

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber