UPDATE: Deadly Manhattan Apartment Fire Caused by Electrical Appliances and Power Strip (+Video)

January 5, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

Authorities say one person died and one was seriously injured in a three-alarm high-rise fire in midtown Manhattan at the The Strand Condominium on Sunday morning.

Fire marshals said on Monday that the cause of the fire was accidental, and caused by electrical appliances and equipment and a power strip.

The fire was reported to authorities shortly after 11 a.m. Sunday. It was on the 20th floor at 500 W. 43rd St., a 41-story high-rise at 43rd Street and 10th Avenue.

According to a spokesperson for the New York Fire Department, 33 units responded to the fire and were on the scene shortly after noon. Five firefighters suffered minor injuries, and 10 others suffered minor injuries and refused medical treatment. Two building residents with critical injuries were taken to separate New York hospitals, and one of them died later.

Epoch Times Staff Genevieve Belmaker contributed to this report.

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber
RECOMMENDED