The security guard at the center of the Las Vegas shooting investigation traveled to Mexico days after the massacre, Fox News reported, citing a customs form obtained from a confidential government source.
Campos returned to the United States on Oct. 8, exactly a week after the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history to which he is a central witness. The customs form shows that Campos crossed the border in a rental vehicle with Nevada license plates.
Campos is the sole eyewitness to the Las Vegas massacre and it is unclear why authorities let him leave the country days after the shooting when the press was reporting that alleged gunman Stephen Paddock may have had an accomplice.
According to investigators, Campos was shot in the leg with a bullet from a high powered rifle, most likely an AR15. Those rounds travel at three times the speed of a handgun bullet and can destroy a limb. It is unclear how Campos drove 700 miles between the Mexico border crossing and Las Vegas with a wound from such a weapon.
Campos crossed the San Ysidro, California, from Baja California Norte, according to the Customs form.
The latest revelation about Campos adds to a barrage of questions about the background of the security guard, especially since he was not a licensed security guard to begin with. Independent investigative reporter Laura Loomer first broke the news and Tucker Carlson’s producers confirmed the finding in Thursday’s program on Fox News.
Campos is not registered with the Nevada’s Private Investigator’s Licensing Board, Fox News learned. When a Fox News producer contacted the Clark County Sheriff’s Office about the discrepancy, the representative refused to comment, yelled at the caller, and hung up.
According to Campos’s union, the Security, Police and Fire Professionals of America, the guard’s trip was pre-planned. Carlson wondered aloud why it took a Customs form from a government leak for the public to learn about the trip 25 days after the massacre.
The Customs form only shows when Campos re-entered the United States, so it is still unknown when he left the country. ABC News interviewed Campos by phone on Oct. 4 but did not report on his location at the time.
Campos also crossed the same border checkpoint in January this year, the Customs form shows. At that time, he used his own car registered in California. It is unclear why he used a rental car after the shooting.
Campos’s trip to Mexico adds to a swarm of questions about the guard. MGM, the owner of Mandalay Bay, has been restricting access to Campos and controlling whom he speaks to. Campos canceled five interviews with major news networks hours before he was set to go on air and vanished for almost a week only to reappear during a daytime show with comedian Ellen DeGeneres last week. The host asked him softball leading questions and gave him tickets to an NFL game.
The public still does not know whether Campos has a criminal record and if he had prior contact with Paddock. It is also unclear what Campos did for the hotel since he was not a licensed security guard.
“We had more answers about San Bernardino and Orlando in 24 hours than we happen to have in this case in weeks,” Dan Bongino, a former Secret Service agent, told Fox News.
“There has to be some kind of friction between the parent company of Mandalay, due to the potential of mass lawsuits, and the bureau, the FBI, that’s investigating this. There is no other convenient explanation,” Bongino added. “That explains a lot of the timeline discrepancies. This also explains this limited and controlled access to Campos.”
Carlson was similarly aghast at the lack of transparency from authorities.
“This story gets murkier by the day, and that is the opposite of what is supposed to happen,” Carlson said. “It’s obvious there is lying and incompetence at the heart of it.”