Man Charged in Motorcycle Hit And Run That Left 4-Year-Old in Hospital

By Margaret Wollensak, The Epoch Times
May 28, 2019 Updated: May 28, 2019

Toronto Police have arrested and charged a 31-year-old man in connection with a hit and run that put a 4-year-old child in the hospital in critical condition.

Early on the afternoon of Sunday, May 26, a man riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle with a female passenger struck the child after he ran out into Victoria Park Ave., which borders Toronto and Scarborough. The rider and passenger fled the scene, according to a Toronto Police news release.

Police say the motorcycle pulled over after hitting the boy, the passenger got off, then the bike continued on.

“We’ve got information that the female got off the bike and walked away on foot. The motorcyclist continued northbound on Victoria Park and out of the area,” Toronto Police Traffic Services Sergeant Brett Moore said in a Twitter video Monday morning.

The man was arrested on Monday about 24 hours after the accident, but according to the news release police did not release his name in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. The initial release describes the man as white, with a black half helmet and black pants. A 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide Motorcycle was also seized.

The man has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident that caused bodily harm, driving a motor vehicle with an improper licence, and operating a motor vehicle without insurance.

In a video Monday afternoon, Moore said investigators have identified the female passenger whom they believe to be involved as well.

He also said that in the 24 hours between the accident and arrest, investigators received 32 tips through Crime Stoppers as well as dozens of calls from community members asking questions and providing help where they could. Police canvased, collected, and looked at videos that people in the community provided.

Police first reported that the child had been killed, but later tweeted that he was at SickKids hospital, where medical professionals said he was in critical condition.

In their news release, Toronto Police Traffic Services “would like to thank the community, the public and media for their assistance that helped identify a suspect and vehicle alleged to be involved in a fail to remain investigation.”

They also say they have received tips and security videos, but are asking the public for more security or dash camera videos that they may have.