I know… there are so many ads for weight loss and “how to look great” that actually doing what needs to be done can be confusing, and in many cases doesn’t work. Practicing as a holistic dentist/nutritionist for the past 30 years, I have found that everyone wants to lose that extra weight and look great but the reality is: it doesn’t happen. What is happening is that as a nation, we are becoming more obese, having more heart attacks, diabetes, high blood pressure and what can be considered a less-then-great quality of life.
In 1991, 4 states had obesity prevalence rates of 15-19% and no states had rates at or above 20%.
In 2004, 7 states had obesity prevalence rates of 15–19%; 33 states had rates of 20–24%; and 9 states had rates more than 25%.
It’s far worse today.
Wouldn’t you like to have a great looking healthy body? Of course you would! So what needs to be done?
First of, diets don’t work! What!? How can that be? Well they don’t work because it’s a diet! Remember: losing weight is an industry which takes in billions of dollars a year. They don’t want you getting healthy. Check the ads on television. Many ads will show you someone that has lost a considerable amount of weight and in fact does look good. The ads imply that if you buy their product/food you too will lose weight and look good. What they fail to mention is the yo-yo effect. That’s what most people experience. Their weight goes down and then back up. Then down and then back up again.
By definition, a “diet” means that you will eat a certain amount of food until you get to the weight that you want and then you go back to your lifestyle. Kind of like saying, “Wow, I just lost the 15 lbs. I’ve wanted to lose! Now I’m going to celebrate with a pizza or some ice cream etc.”
Secondly, you need to take responsibility for the way you want to live. As I said before: diets don’t work. What is needed is for you to change your lifestyle. Exercise 3 to 5 days a week. Wait! Don’t give up. I’m not talking about running a mile every day or working out in a gym. Both of those are excellent but you can lose weight by doing something very simple: walking quickly at a steady pace, for least 30 minutes, a few times a week. Why 30 minutes? Because the body spends the first 10 minutes burning up only carbohydrates. After that, it begins to burn fat. A healthy fitness routine is one that pushes the body to burn fat. There is another benefit: walking quickly after a stressful day at work will calm you down. This simple act of walking will reduce your stress levels.
Thirdly, you must take supplements. Why? Because you cannot get what you nutritionally need from food alone. I developed a product called Vitalboost for myself and my patients because you cannot get the nutrients you need from food. I wanted a multi-vitamin and mineral super food, which would keep me healthy. Vitalboost is a rich source of immune enhancing, anti-aging, nutrients that support the body’s normal function and structure. It is my belief that this specific blend will help me live a longer healthier life. I believe it will do the same for you.
At this point many patients say, “But I eat the right foods!” Even if you have the best diet, no stress in your life and a pollution-free environment, several questions remain
- Has the food been grown in soil that has all the minerals needed by the plants to be totally healthy? Good soil has been in short supply since 1923. All kinds of pollutants are getting into our food. The additives that food manufacturers use are enough to kill us! Their newly invented artificial compounds have almost completely unknown consequences for the biochemistry of the liver. These compounds may be affecting our brain, nervous, hormone, cardiovascular, and even immune systems. Although we do not know the long term effects, they are being added to our foods. Even to baby food.
- How old is your Food? Your average food travels 1,400 miles before you eat it. Most people consume food that is at least five days old.
- What is the nutrient value of five-day-old food? Not much!
- Fourth –When should you eat?
- The body has three different metabolic periods, which cycle every 24 hours. During the Elimination and Maintenance Cycle (from 4 am to noon), the body’s cells are dumping waste products, and manufacturing and/or repairing cells. During the Digestive Cycle (from Noon to 8 pm), the body’s metabolism is geared to digestion. During the Assimilation Cycle (from 8 pm to 4 am), the body is sending nutrients to cells.
- Digestion needs energy, so your biggest meal should be between noon and 8pm. The earlier within this time-frame, the better. So what time was last night’s dinner? What about tonight?
- Knowing these cycles can have a great effect on your weight. For example: avoid starch after 6pm, you’ll have fewer calories to burn off at night, when you’re least active.
- Eating carbs mainly at breakfast and lunch gives you the most energy.
Here are some Ways to lose weight and look great:
- Avoid deep-fried foods
- Reduce sweets, crisps and sugary drinks
- Read Labels! If the first few ingredients are Fructose or any sugar or hydrogenated fat: Leave It!
- A little bit of protein such as fish, chicken, eggs, nuts or whey protein with a snack will keep you feeling fuller and help suppress cravings
- Restaurant portions can be more than you really want to eat. Between talking and drinking you finish your meal. How many times after eating-out have you said, “Boy do I feel stuffed!”?
- Only eat until you are full. You don’t have to finish what’s on your plate. Save the rest for tomorrow’s snack. If you can, start with a low-fat appetizer.
- STAY AWAY FROM THE BREAD! This is a total killer. I personally love bread! Especially when it’s warm and there’s butter. Ah so good! Too bad there’s a couple of immediate extra pounds
- Fill up on a side salad or extra veggies
- If you must have dessert, share it. Studies have shown that people who need to lose 20 lbs. or more will lose weight and keep it off by just cutting down desserts to just an occasional portion that they share. After four years those who lose the most weight eat, on average, just a few desserts a year
- COLOR YOUR FOOD! This is vital. You will lose the most weight if you increase your vegetables and fruit servings from less than 4 to more than 5 per day. The more different colored foods you place on your plate, the better you’ll do. Remember this is not a diet but a change in lifestyle. You’ll find, after a shorter time then you might imagine, that you’ll never want to go back to your old ways again
- THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK! Alcohol is the downfall of many diets, especially this time of year. You don’t need to cut out booze completely – it’s unrealistic over Christmas. Just stick to one or two small glasses, every other night. A bottle of wine totals around 500 calories, so you can undo a whole day of good behavior with one boozy session.
- Drink a glass of water before a meal. Most people do not drink enough water. This simple act will hydrate you and help you eat less. Drinking water with a slice of lemon when you wake up will help you alkalize and keep you on the road to health.
- Measure your portions. Even healthy snacks can add weight if you eat the entire bag! Put some out in a cup.
Here are some examples for your new way of eating. Please note these are just suggestions. I usually just have Vitalboost with hemp milk, whey protein, and acai and goji powder for breakfast. There are a number of vegan protein products if you prefer no animal products. If you want animal protein, fine, but moderate the meat and cheese. Enjoy fish more often. Substituting fish for higher fat meats means fewer calories.
Suggested Breakfast Menus
- Monday: fresh fruit, or dried apricots, Millet or a Vitalboost shake or smoothie (for protein eggs or cottage cheese)
- Tuesday: Fresh Figs, oatmeal, nut-butter or eggs or a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
- Wednesday: Fresh fruit, reconstituted dried peaches, or a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
- Thursday: Fresh fruit, reconstituted prunes, brown rice, with raisins, honey sunflower seeds, yogurt, nut butters or a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
- Friday: Fresh fruit, reconstituted dried peaches, buckwheat, or a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
- Saturday: a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
- Sunday: a Vitalboost shake or smoothie
Suggested Lunch Menus
- Monday: One or two kinds of fresh fruit in season or apricots, figs or currants and avocado salad
- Tuesday: Small raw vegetable salad (must have romaine lettuce and sprouts, plus 2 or 3 other vegetables) and avocado or rice cakes or 3 oz. of raw nuts (almonds, filberts, walnuts or pecans)
- Wednesday: Salad-shredded carrots, beets, turnips, celery sticks, sliced tomatoes, sliced green peppers sprouts
- Thursday: Cooked vegetables, brown rice, with raisins, honey, sunflower seeds, yogurt, nut butters, supplements, herbal tea
- Friday: Salad (shredded carrots, beets, turnips, celery sticks, sliced tomatoes, sliced green peppers, sprouts), alfalfa tea
- Saturday: Salad (shredded carrots, beets, turnips, celery sticks, sliced tomatoes, sliced green peppers, sprouts, avocado)
- Sunday: Any sandwich or roll with less than 400 calories
Suggested Dinner Menus
- Monday: Large raw vegetable salad and baked potato or lentils and chickpeas and, if needed, one steamed vegetable
- Tuesday: Large raw vegetable salad and baked yam or avocado
- Wednesday: Large raw vegetable salad and baked potato or corn or lentils and, if needed, one steamed vegetable
- Thursday: Large raw vegetable salad and avocado or beans (garbanzo, fava, mung)
- Friday: Large raw vegetable salad and baked potato or corn or lentils and, if needed, one steamed vegetable
- Saturday: Large raw vegetable salad and brown rice and beans and lightly steamed vegetables
- Sunday: Grilled chicken or fish with green beans, spicy tomato salsa and avocado salad
Remember that these are just suggestions. If you want to add some chicken or fish or anything else just do so in moderation. This is the start of your new life. Enjoy it!
I developed Vitalboost for my patients and myself because you cannot get the nutrients you need from food. I wanted a multi-vitamin and mineral super food, which would keep me healthy. Vitalboost is a rich source of immune enhancing, anti-aging, nutrients that support the body’s normal function and structure. It is my belief that this specific blend will help me live a longer healthier life. I believe it will do the same for you
Your’s in Health,
Victor Zeines DDS, MS, FAGD
To order or get more information on Vitalboost click here