Kitchee Unbeaten in HKFA Championship

Association football—Hong Kong
By Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
May 13, 2014 Updated: May 13, 2014

HONG KONG—Kitchee finished its season in the HKFA Championship with a 4-1 win over Yokohama FC (HK) at a rainy Sham Sui Po Sports Ground on Saturday (May 10) to complete its league campaign unbeaten—only the third team in three decades to do so.

Kitchee opened the scoring in the 26th minute with a penalty by Diego Cascon after Christian Annan was fouled when trying to force in the rebound from a Cascon shot.

Yokohama FC (HK) equalised in the 43rd minute when Tsuyoshi Yoshitako headed in Au Yeung Yiu-chung’s corner. However, Kitchee quickly restored its lead when Christian Annan fired home from a corner kick to make it 2-1 to Kitchee at half time.

The League Champions added two more goals in the second half, one by Annan and the other by Robson Leung, to make the final score 4-1.

Kitchee completed the season with 15 wins and 3 draws to join South China and Seiko as the only teams to have finished the league campaign unbeaten. Kitchee head the League Table on 48 points. Sun Pegasus and South China both have 32 points, but Sun Pegasus claim second place ahead of South China on Head to Head results.

HKFA First Division
Sunday May 11 was the last day of HKFA First Division with the final games taking place in wet and slippery conditions due to the heavy downpours seen over the weekend.

Sun Pegasus took on BC Rangers at Mong Kok Stadium with the game settled in the 10th minute when Chan Pak-hang fired a long range shot into the net.

Eastern Salon’s match against I-Sky Yuen Long at Sham Shui Po Sports Ground was decided mid way through the second half when Alessandro Leonardo knocked the ball into the net from a Wellingsson De Souza pass after his first shot was parried back by Eastern Salon goalkeeper Paulo Da Silva.

At Tsing Yi Sports ground Sunray Cave JC Sun Hei ended up conceding the game at a late stage to Royal Southern after appearing to have the game under control.

Sunray Cave JC Sun Hei scored early in the match through Wong Chun-hin and Roberto Affonso added a second close to half time when he rifled a shot past Royal Southern goalkeeper Zhang Chun-hai for a 2-0 half time lead.

Royal Southern reduced the deficit in the 49th minute when Yago Lopez converted a penalty. Lopez then scored another two goals late in the game to complete his hat-trick and a great comeback for a 3-2 victory.

In the game between South China and Citizen at the Hong Kong Stadium, South China scored twice in the first half with goals by Andrew Barisic and Lo kong-wai to give them a 2-nil half time lead.

Citizen pulled a goal back in the 55th minute when Shum Kwok-keung’s cross was converted by Stafan Pereira, but this was countered by South China 10 minutes later when a cross from Jack Sealy was finished by Joao Emir.

Citizen reduced the deficit again in the 70th minute with a header by Shum Kwok-keung but neither side could add to their score before the final whistle and a 3-2 victory for South China.

HKFA Cup Final
Kitchee will hope to wrap up a double when they play Eastern Salon in the HKFA Cup Final on May 18.