Kitchee Lead in Premier, Eastern are 1 Point Behind with a Game in Hand

Association football—Hong Kong
By Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
Allan Jackson
December 14, 2016 Updated: December 14, 2016

HONG KONG—The first BOC Life Hong Kong Premier League game of the weekend was between HKFC and R&F on Thursday Dec 8 at Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground, in the six pointer to decide which team would end the year at the foot of the table, and which would give themselves a lift up in the league table.

R&F took a 7th minute lead through the in form Tommy Chuck who fired in from close range after a right wing cross. Despite both sides hitting the woodwork, and forcing saves from their respective goalkeepers, R&F managed to hold out for the vital win, which moves them to 6 points, one above BC Glory Sky and three above bottom place HKFC with just one  game to play to the half way stage of the league season.

On Saturday Dec 10 Kwoon Chung Southern took on BC Glory Sky at Hammer Hill Road Sports Ground, and ended the game with an emphatic 4-nil victory. Kwoon Chung Southern opened the scoring in the 19th minute when Roberto Fronza headed in from Michael Luk’s free kick from the right hand side, and doubled their lead in the 40th minute when Wellingsson De Souza broke down the right hand side before breaking into the box, finishing past goalkeeper Oleksi Shliakotin,for a 2-0 half time lead.

Kwoon Chung Southern extended their lead in the 58th minute when Michael Luk converted a penalty kick after a BC Glory Sky defender was penalised for a foul, and then wrapped up the win in the 71st minute when Liang Zicheng slotted home after James Ha’s right wing break and cross.

In the days later game between Hong Kong Pegasus and South China at Hong Kong Stadium Hong Kong Pegasus took the lead when Travis Major headed in after Leong Ka-hang hit the cross bar from wong Chun-ho’s cross. South China struck back in the 45th minute to equalise when Leung Lok-hang headed past goalkeeper Kristijan Naumovski from Chan Siu-ki’s cross. After both sides had chances, but failed to add to the scoreline, Hong Kong Pegasus claimed the points  when Leong Ka-hang fired the winner past goalkeeper Tsang Man-ki after receiving a pass from Christian Annan .

Kitchee then took on Wo Foo Tai Po at Tai Po Sports Ground on Sunday Dec 11, and took the 3 points with a 1-nil win, courtesy of a 70th minute strike from Lam Ka-fai past goalkeeper Paulo Cesar.

In Sunday’s later game, KMB Yuen Long faced Lee Man Rangers at Tsing Yi Sports Ground, Lee Man Rangers took the lead in the 43rd minute when Denis Lima slotted home after goalkeeper Pang Tsz-kin had saved a shot from Wong Tsz-ho. However, KMB Yuen Long struck back with 2 goals within 4 minutes to seal the result, the first in the 74th minute whenYip Tsz-chun finished after being fed by Diego Higino, and then the 77th minute winner from Lau Ho-lam who scored after receiving the ball from Yip Tsz-chun,  

Kitchee lead the table with 24 points from 10 matches, with Eastern Long Lions second with 23 points from 9 matches.

In First Division games, Eastern District were 5-nil winners against Kwai Tsing, Citizen were 5-2 victors Tung Sing, Sha Tin were 3-1 victors over Yau Tsim Mong, Easyknit Property won 1-nil against Kwun Tong, Sun Hei were 4-1 victors over Wanchai, Wong Tai Sin won 3-nil against Resource Capital FC, and Double Flower were 1-nil winners against Metro Gallery.

Sun Hei lead the table with 35 points from 13 matches, with Wong Tai Sin second with 34 points from 13 matches, and Easyknit Property third on 30 points from the same games.

Central & Western lead the second division with 26 points from 11 games, with Hoi King and Tuen Mun joint second with 23 points from 10 and 11 games respectively.

Yau Yee League

There were no matches in the Yau Yee league, last week. .

Allan Jackson has been involved in soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.