Kitchee Gain Ground in Premier League

Association football—Hong Kong
November 5, 2014 Updated: November 5, 2014

HONG KONG—Kitchee were the first team in action in Friday night’s (Oct 31) encounter with BC Rangers at Mongkok Stadium. Despite both sides creating chances the first half ended at nil-all. Kitchee took the lead after 69 minutes when Jorge Tarres fired past BC Rangers goalkeeper Leung Hong-kit. BC Rangers equalised in the 86th minute when James Ha converted Chow Cheuk-fung’s pass. However, Kitchee struck back immediately when Juan Belencoso headed in Xu Deshuai’s cross and held on for an eventual 2-1 victory.

Sun Pegasus played Eastern on Saturday afternoon (Nov 1) at Mongkok Stadium.

Eastern took the lead in the 33rd minute when Giovane Da Silva converted from Michel Lugo’s cross. Eastern doubled their lead in the 37th minute when Giovane Da Silva converted from the penalty spot after Festus Baise was adjudged to have committed a foul. Eastern led 2-nil at half time. Eastern added a third goal in the 52nd minute when Jean Kilama headed home, and held on for a full=time 3-nil victory. The defeat was the first of the season for Sun Pegasus ending their prior 100 per cent start to the league season.

South China played YFCMD on Sunday (Nov 2) afternoon at the Hong Kong Government Stadium. South China ran out 2-nil winners, the victory coming as a result of a brace from Sean Tse, the first after 20 minutes when he volleyed home a loose ball past goalkeeper Chui Yu-ming, and the second after 40 minutes when Tse headed in Lo Kong-wai’s corner.

In Sunday’s other game at Hammer Hill Sports Ground, Wong Tai Sin and I-Sky Yuen Long fought out a 2-all draw, with first half goals from I-Sky Yuen Long’s Tsuyoshi Yoshitake and Yang Yuan being cancelled out by second half goals from Wong Tai Sin’s Leonardo and Mauricio Correa Da Luz.

Sun Pegasus now lead the Premier league with 15-points from 6-matches, with Kitchee second with 9-points from 3-matches, with Eastern, South China and I-Sky Yuen Long are tied on 7-points after completing 3, 4 and 5 matches respectively.

In the weekend’s first division games Lucky Mile were defeated 2-4 by Shatin, Wanchai Won 2-nil over Double Flower, Tai Chung were beaten 1-3 by Tuen Mun, Happy Valley were defeated 2-5 by Citizen, Kwun Tong were beaten 0-7 by HKFC, and Yau Tsim Mong were 1-nil victors over Kwai Tsing.

Metro Gallery Sun Source and HKFC now lead the table on 20-points, though Metro Gallery Sun Source have played a game less (8 games), and Shatin are third on 19-points from the same number of games as Metro Gallery Sun Source. Yau Tsim Mong and Citizen have 17 points after playing 8 and 9 games respectively.

In the second division played 7-games, Kowloon City were 1-nil victors over Eastern District, Kwong Wah were 1-nil winners over Fire Services, New Fair Kuitan were defeated 4-nil by Tuen Mun FC, Wing Yee won 4-3 against Sham Shui Po, Sai Kung drew nil-all with Mutual, and Tsuen Wan were 1-nil victors over Kwok Keung.

Wing Yee now lead the 2nd division table on 19-points, followed by Mutual on 16-points. All teams in this division have played 7-games.

In the third division, Central and Western drew nil-all against Tung Sing, King Mountain
won 2-1 against Lung Moon, Rainbow Legend North District were 2-nil winners against KCC, Telecom defeated Fukien 2-1, KCDRSC drew 1-all with Islands, and Fu Moon drew 1-all with St Joseph’s.

Tung Sing lead the table with 25-points, with Central and Western second on 23-points.

Yau Yee League
A round of league matches was replaced by matches in the first round of the Yau Yee League Cup comprising teams from the second, third and fourth divisions.

Allan Jackson has been involved in Soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.