Jurgen Klinsmann Received $3.35M Settlement From USSF

February 19, 2019 Updated: February 19, 2019

CHICAGO—Jurgen Klinsmann received a $3.35 million settlement of his contract with the United States Soccer Federation, according to the USSF’s tax filing.

His replacement, Bruce Arena, was given a $300,000 settlement during the fiscal year that ended March 31, 2018, according to the filing, which was released Feb. 18.

Klinsmann was hired in 2011 and in December 2013 was given a contract extension through December 2018. He was fired in November 2016 after a 0-2 start in the final round of World Cup qualifying in North and Central America and the Caribbean. His contract was settled for $3,354,167, the tax filing said.

Jurgen Klinsmann (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

Arena earned $899,348 in base pay during the fiscal year and a $50,000 bonus, according to the filing, which was first reported by The Washington Post. He quit after the United States loss at Trinidad and Tobago in October 2017 that ended the Americans’ streak of seven straight World Cup appearances.

Dave Sarachan, Arena’s top assistant, was the interim coach from October 2017 through last November. He had a base salary of $223,656 during the fiscal year.

Klinsmann’s top assistant, Andri Herzog, was given a settlement of $355,537 during the fiscal year. He is now Israel’s national team coach.

United States women’s coach Jill Ellis earned $291,029 in base pay during the fiscal year, which did not include a major tournament. His compensation was topped by under-20 men’s coach Tab Ramos, who had $295,558 in base pay plus a $30,000 bonus.

Jill Ellis (Jason Miller/Getty Images)

USSF CEO Dan Flynn, who has said he may be retiring, had $684,617 in base pay and $130,000 in bonuses. Chief operating officer Jay Berhalter, brother of new United States coach Gregg Berhalter, had $466,195 in base pay and $115,563 in bonuses.

Unlike the Men’s World Cup, No Public Vote on Women’s Event Host

LONDON—FIFA will still decide the host of the Women’s World Cup in secret, unlike the new open vote held last year for a host of the 2026 men’s tournament.

(Frank Fife/AFP/Getty Images)

The 2023 bidding process was launched Tuesday, and FIFA adopted many of the rigorous checks and scrutiny prospective men’s hosts now have to go through.

But the final decision is a very different process.

Following corruption investigations into the vote for men’s hosts in 2018 and 2022, FIFA removed the decision from its ruling committee and gave it to all member associations. When it came to deciding the 2026 men’s hosts last year, the votes were made public after the FIFA Congress chose the joint bid from the United States, Mexico, and Canada over Morocco’s entry.

RECOMMENDED
TOP VIDEOS