Iranian President Hassan Rouhani claimed there was no proof that attacks on Saudi oil facilities originated in Iran, saying it was from Yemeni rebels.
“This attack was originated in Yemen, in truth. That’s the truth of the matter,” Rouhani told ABC News on Sept. 25. “If the Yemeni conflict does not come to an end, much more severe attacks will be witnessed—emanating from Yemen.”
Following the attack on the facility, Yemeni rebels claimed responsibility. The attack was carried out hundreds of miles from the Yemeni border.
But several U.S. officials told news outlets that Iran launched missiles and drones to carry out the assault on the facility, which is the world’s largest.
Rouhani told ABC that the conflict in Yemen needs to come to an end.
“The Yemeni issue that has been ongoing for five years, that has subjected the Yemeni people to the daily bombardment and bloodshed of an aggressor. This has angered the Yemenis,” he said.
Regarding whether his regime was responsible, Rouhani said that he spoke to the leaders of France, Germany, and the United Kingdom, saying they hadn’t offered a “single legitimate” piece of evidence.
“They have no documentation or proof to show. … We requested for them to furnish us the proof, evidentiary proof,” Rouhani said. “But they don’t. … I announce here, very clearly and transparently, for the United States and the European countries, we wish for them, we hope for them, to show proof, evidentiary proof, so that the world can see that, at the end of the day, these allegations and accusations are unfounded.”
Earlier this month, President Donald Trump questioned Iran’s denial of involvement in the attacks.
“Remember when Iran shot down a drone, saying knowingly that it was in their ‘airspace’ when, in fact, it was nowhere close,” Trump said in a tweet. “They stuck strongly to that story knowing that it was a very big lie. Now they say that they had nothing to do with the attack on Saudi Arabia. We’ll see?”
Days later, the U.S. Department of Treasury placed sanctions on Iran’s central bank and sovereign fund.
The Central Bank of Iran and the National Development Fund of Iran funneled billions of dollars to Hezbollah and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, which are considered terrorist organizations by the U.S. Department of State, according to the Treasury Department on Sept. 20.
“Iran’s brazen attack against Saudi Arabia is unacceptable. Treasury’s action targets a crucial funding mechanism that the Iranian regime uses to support its terrorist network, including the Qods Force, Hizballah, and other militants that spread terror and destabilize the region,” said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.