A top Iranian official has for the first time admitted that the Islamic regime aided terrorists who would go on to fly airplanes into the World Trade Center’s Twin Towers in New York City, the Pentagon in Washington, and a field in Pennsylvania, killing nearly 3,000 people.
Mohammad-Javad Larijani, an international affairs assistant in Iran’s judiciary, told Iran’s state-controlled television that Iranian intelligence officials covertly provided passage to the 9/11 terrorists and secured them refuge ahead of the attacks, according to a translation of the remarks published by Al Arabiya.
“Our government agreed not to stamp the passports of some of them because they were on transit flights for two hours, and they were resuming their flights without having their passports stamped. However, their movements were under the complete supervision of the Iranian intelligence,” Larijani said.
No senior Iranian official had previously admitted to the Islamic regime’s role in the attacks.
The 9/11 Commission, tasked with investigating the terrorist attacks, had concluded that Iran played a role in the 9/11 massacre by aiding al-Qaeda terrorists. The report had also stated that Iranian security officials let the terrorists travel through Iran without having their passports stamped.
Last month, a New York judge ordered Iran to pay $6 billion to victims of the attacks. Iran never responded to the lawsuit, and the judge served a default judgment. Last year, a European court in Luxembourg refused to unfreeze $1.6 billion in Iranian funds held by a bank there for victims of the 9/11 attacks.
Larijani heads the Iranian High Council for Human Rights, which has been accused by international human rights organizations of violations and coverups. In the same interview, he confirmed that Iranian intelligence officials were in constant contact with al-Qaeda terrorists.
In November last year, the CIA released a trove of documents seized when al-Qaeda’s terrorist leader, Osama Bin Laden, was killed. Iran figures prominently in several files. A letter from a prominent al-Qaeda member confirms that Iran was willing to provide everything al-Qaeda needed to attack American interests in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf region. The document also corroborates Larijani’s statements, showing that Iranian intelligence operatives helped al-Qaeda terrorists with visas and safe harbor.
Al-Qaeda took up Iran’s offer. Senior al-Qaeda official Abu Hafs al-Mauritani negotiated the agreement with Iran in the lead-up to the attacks.
An earlier CIA document batch released in March 2016 contained a letter from bin Laden with instructions on how to deal with Iran. The terrorist mastermind wrote that Iran was a key player in al-Qaeda’s “movement.”
Court documents from another 9/11 lawsuit in New York revealed that Iranian embassies in Europe aided the coordinator of the 9/11 attacks, Ramzi bin al-Shibh, in his travels. The Iranian embassies in London and Berlin issued him with travel visas.
Last month, President Donald Trump pulled out of a nuclear deal with Iran set up by his predecessor, former President Barack Obama. Trump called the arrangement, titled the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, a “horrible, one-sided deal.” The exit means that the United States is going to impose increasingly crippling sanctions on the Islamic regime.
A draft report from the Senate’s Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, released June 7, found that Obama granted Iran access to the U.S. financial system despite public claims from officials that they would prohibit it.
The revelation caught Trump’s attention, and he called for an investigation.
“The Obama Administration is now accused of trying to give Iran secret access to the financial system of the United States. This is totally illegal,” Trump wrote on Twitter on June 7. “Investigate!”