A mother in Iowa is in mourning after her daughter and her daughter’s family were found dead at a resort in Mexico.
Amy Sharp, 38, her husband, Kevin Sharp, 41, and their two children, Sterling and Adrianna, were on vacation but did not return home on their scheduled return date, prompting family members to alert authorities.
Officials in Mexico located the family at the condominium in Akumal they were renting at a resort and later said that the family died due to inhaling toxic gases.
The U.S. State Department issued a Level 2 Travel Advisory for Mexico as of March 16, noting that “violent crime, such as homicide, kidnapping, carjacking, and robbery, is widespread.”
But authorities and family members stressed that they were not murdered.
“There was no foul play,” Ashli Peterson, a family member, wrote on Facebook after the discovery of the bodies.
Beth Fry, the mother of Amy Sharp, said that the loss of her daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren has been tough.
— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) March 25, 2018
“Life is not going to be the same without her,” Fry told THV11. “Half my family is gone.”
She said the remaining family members, and friends in the community, are serving as a crucial support system that will help Sharp’s relatives get through the ordeal.
“We’re determined. We have love and support and family and friends and we will get through this. One way or another, we will,” she said.
— We Are Iowa Local 5 (@weareiowa5news) March 23, 2018
The family was remembered as a busy one, always driving to the children’s sports games, college sports events, and other activities.
The children, Sterling and Adrianna, didn’t even know they were going to Mexico until they were arriving at the airport, family members said. Their parents had planned the trip in secret as a surprise for spring break, Amy Sharp’s cousin, Jana Weland, told ABC 5.
“The only thing that we’re thankful for was that hopefully, they’ve given us hope that maybe [the deaths were] very peaceful,” she said.