Injured Paparazzo Calls Justin Bieber a ‘Good Kid’ From Hospital Bed
Justin Bieber accidentally struck a photographer with his pickup truck in Beverly Hills as he was leaving a church service on Wednesday night adding to an already eventful week for the young pop star.
Bieber was not charged and had fully cooperated with authorities, Beverly Hills police spokesman Sergeant Chris Coulter said.
A video posted to ABC News’ Twitter page shows the pop singer pulling out of a driveway and into a crowd of paparazzi, when a man steps in front of the truck and is knocked down. To his credit, Bieber stays on the scene during the entire clip and is shown kneeling beside the injured man, consoling him and asking him if he needs anything.
Not too badly hurt to show a sense of humor, the injured man on the ground lightens the mood, joking, “I guess if it’s gonna happen, let it be in front of the church.”
The 57-year-old photographer was hospitalized Wednesday night with non-life threatening injuries to his lower body.
The photographer later posted a video thanking the “Sorry” singer for his help. “He [Bieber] got out, he was compassionate. He’s a good kid. Accidents happen,” the photographer said while still in a hospital bed.
The incident took place only two days after the sudden cancelation of Bieber’s ‘Purpose’ world tour. The singer apologized to fans and said he needed some rest after touring non-stop for 2 years.
His manager, Scooter Braun, who discovered Bieber at the age of 12, also apologized in an Instagram post and added that Bieber’s “soul and well-being” were his first priority.
Canadian-born Bieber, 23, had been on tour since March 2016 and had performed at more than 150 shows around the world before canceling his last 14 shows in North America and Asia on Monday.
Some fans reacted with concern for the singer, others with frustration. A few celebrities also weighed in on his decision, including American singer-songwriter John Mayer, who gave Bieber credit on Twitter for looking after his mental health.
Sugar Ray front man Mark McGrath, however, said Bieber should have carried on. “I’m sure Justin has his reasons but you know being tired it’s not an excuse. You finish. People bought a ticket, they want to see it,” McGrath told TMZ.
In a video, in which reporters on Monday caught up with Bieber in a beachside parking lot, he said that he was fine, and was looking forward to a relaxing break.
“I’ve been on tour for two years,” Bieber added in the video posted on TMZ.
“I love you guys, I think you guys are awesome. I’m sorry for anyone who feels, like, disappointed or betrayed, it’s not in my heart or anything and have a blessed day,” he said in a message to fans.
Bieber, who’s Christian faith is well known, may also be taking the time off to recharge spiritually and do some soul-searching, unnamed sources told several celebrity news sites.
In particular, Bieber has developed a close relationship to Carl Lentz, a pastor at the Hillsong Church, with sources from the church telling TMZ that the two have been together almost every day for the last month. The two also appeared in a video interview together a few days ago on the church’s website.
Ticket holders to Bieber’s remaining shows will be fully refunded, a tour representative told E! News.