An Indian restaurant owner is accused of killing a customer with curry.
Mohammed Zaman, 53, is accused of knowingly serving a man a lethal amount of peanut powder, knowing that the man had a peanut allergy, the Telegraph reported.
— Tom Wilkinson (@tommywilkinson) May 11, 2015
Zaman failed to warn customers and pub manager Paul Wilson, who had a severe peanut allergy, that he was making curry with peanut powder instead of almond powder, a jury in the U.K. has heard.
The waiter who took Wilson’s order and the chef were also working illegally in Zaman’s restaurant.
A month earlier, in January 2014, 17-year-old student Ruby Scott became seriously ill after she suffered anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, after eating chicken korma from one of Zaman’s restaurants. She was rushed to the hospital and to an epi-pen.
“We say Paul Wilson did what he always did and ordered no nuts,” prosecutor Richard Wright said. “There was no confusion here. Instead there was a business in which corners were being cut for the sake of profits, systems were non-existent and the customer was constantly exposed to danger.”
As such, Zaman was charged with manslaughter in the death of Wilson, the BBC reported. The diner had insisted his meal was nut-free.
Wright said, “There is no doubt at all that the curry he ate, the lid of which bore the legend ‘no nuts,’ contained peanuts and that the peanuts caused his death by way of an allergic reaction to eating them.”
“An analysis of the curry recovered from the plate in the kitchen of Paul Wilson’s home also demonstrated that peanut had killed him. Less than three grammes of the sauce from the curry would have been sufficient to give rise to the level of peanut in the stomach.”
Wright added that Zaman had gotten “numerous warnings that he was putting his customers’ health, and potentially their lives, at risk.”
Zaman, who is from Huntington in York, has denied the manslaughter charges.