Huntswoman Who Whipped Protester After He Grabs Her Horse Will Not Be Charged
A huntswoman who was filmed repeatedly whipping a protestor after he grabbed the reins of her horse in November last year will not be charged by police.
Jane Miller, 56, has avoided punishment after a furious clash with anti-hunt activists while out riding in Herstmonceux, East Sussex, reported Mailonline. She was filmed striking at a man with her riding crop 17 times while screaming “get off my horse.”
The video was posted on Facebook and Youtube, and revealed the alleged clash between East Sussex and Romney Marsh Hunt and a group of protesters.
The protesters from Brighton Hunt Saboteurs and South Coast Hunt Saboteurs filmed the incident while shadowing the hunting club.
The huntswoman’s husband, Richard Goring, said his wife was “terrified” when the hunt protester grabbed her horse, reported the newspaper.
“She was in a very threatening situation. She was scared stiff. She was terrorized, I’d say,” Goring told Mailonline.
“She was absolutely terrorized, I’m not kidding. She was in an impossible position. She regrets even having a whip with her and wishes she wasn’t even out that day,” he continued.
“The police say there is no case to answer. They all wear balaclavas. It’s very frightening you know,” he added.
Brighton Hunt Saboteurs suggested that the lack of charges was due to abuse of power in a statement on Jan. 5.
“Today we received the news that this rider with the East Sussex and Romney Marsh Hunt is facing no further action from Sussex Police after she tried to ride us down before hitting one of our sabs 17 times with her riding crop. Yet again those in positions of power and privilege get away with violently assaulting those who are stopping them from breaking the Hunting Act and killing innocent wildlife,” they wrote in a Facebook post.
Since the November clash, more footage emerged of previous confrontations with Miller and protesters.
South Coast Hunt Saboteurs said they have lodged a formal complaint with Sussex police for their failure to press the charges, according to a statement on Jan. 6.
“Enough is enough! The decision by Sussex Police not to take the case forward against Jane Miller/Goring has motivated sabs to get justice through the courts ourselves,” they wrote on Facebook.
“The prolonged assault was captured on FOUR video recordings from different angles and FIVE witnesses came forward to make statements – but Sussex Police decided not to proceed with the case before the fifth witness (of whom they were aware) had even submitted her statement- this not only displays bias but is also unlawful,” they wrote.
“The reason Sussex Police dropped the case? ‘Insufficient evidence,'” they added.