HKCC and Valley Still Head-To-Head in HKRFU Premiership

Rugby Union—Hong Kong Premiership
By Bill Cox, Epoch Times
January 22, 2014 Updated: January 22, 2014

Leighton Asia Hong Kong Cricket Club regained the lead in the Hong Kong Rugby Union Premiership following a sparkling display against Hong Kong Scottish on Super Saturday Rugby at the Hong Kong Football Club ground on Jan 18.

Meanwhile, WhichWay Valley also won convincingly against third position team Newedge Club to stay equal on points with HKCC, but with a lower points difference.

Another top of the table clash, which could be a league decider, takes place next week when HKCC host Valley at Aberdeen Sports Ground.

Valley vs HKFC
Billed as the star match of the day, Valley played a tactical game in their match against Club to keep themselves at the top of the table.

Reece Harmon opened the Valley scoring with a well taken drop goal. With the absence of goal kicker Ben Rimene, Matthew Rosslee took over the kicking role slotting over two first half penalties to take Valley into a 9-nil lead at half time.

Another penalty and a conversion by Rosslee, following a try by Thomas Lamboley, took the visitors to 22-nil.

Club restored some respectability in the last ten minutes of play when Matt Lamont and Jake Phelps crossed the goal line making the final score 22-12.

Valley, although short of Rimene and Lee Jones were successful in retaining the Broony Quaich trophy against their arch rivals.

HK Scottish vs HKCC
Although HK Scottish put up a spirited display in the second match of the day, HKCC never looked in any trouble continually ratcheting up the score with tries conversions and penalties.

Although only 15-nil at half time it was a real demolition job in the second half.

Tom McQueen, back from injury, scored twice; with further tries scored by Pale Tauti, Jack Nielsen, Jamie Roberson and goal kicker Angus Cameron also touched down in his total of 19 points, for a final score of 44-5.

This gave HKCC the bonus point they needed to regain the top spot in the table.

Koowloon vs Tigers
There was a tense finish to the first Premiership match of the afternoon between Abacus Kowloon and Borrelli Walsh Tigers.

Tigers played well in the early stages cashing in on Kowloon’s mistakes.

Kowloon looked dangerous when they got the ball and pushed into good attacking positions, but then handed play to their opponents allowing Tigers to score first and then push their score to into a 10-5 lead, after a try by Kowloon.

But a second try by Jonny Rees, and a conversion and penalty by Chris McAdam, gave Kowloon a 15-10 advantage at the break.

Kowloon stretched their lead to 25-15, but then lost two players to the sin bin. The Tigers hit back in the last quarter of the match to finish the match just three points behind on 25-22. Indeed, had time not run out Tigers could have snatch the victory from Kowloon as they looked on the ascendancy as the final whistle blew.

Next Matches
The matches for Saturday Jan 25 are Hong Kong Scottish vs Abacus Kowloon at Shek Kip Mei; Newedge Club vs Borelli Walsh Tigers at HKFC; and Leighton Asia HKCC vs WhichWay Valley at Aberdeen Sports Ground on Tuesday Jan 28.