SANTA ANA, Calif.—Santa Ana police continued their investigating into the shooting death of a high school baseball player and the wounding of another young man while they were sitting in a parked vehicle on April 28.
Sgt. Maria Lopez of the Santa Ana Police Department told City News Service on April 30 that police had “no new updates at the moment.”
The shooting occurred just after 7:20 p.m. on April 28 in the west alley of 1400 S. Minnie Street, said Lopez, adding that police were investigating the attack as possibly gang-related.
The victim was on the school’s baseball team and had just finished a game, the Orange County Register reported.
The suspect walked up to a vehicle and opened fire, killing 18-year-old Roberto Izelo of Tustin, Lopez said. A 19-year-old male—who police said was Izelo’s cousin—who was also in the front seat sustained a gunshot wound and was hospitalized, but was expected to survive, and a 16-year-old boy in the backseat escaped injury.
Police released surveillance video in the hopes it would generate leads, showing a possible suspect wearing black clothing walking through a nearby parking lot.
The Santa Ana Unified School District released a statement reporting that crisis counselors had been sent to Century High to support any students and staff at the school dealing with the shooting.
Anyone with helpful information for investigators was asked to call 714-245-8390. Orange County Crime Stoppers will accept anonymous tips at 855- TIP-OCCS.