Seventy People Poisoned by Clenbuterol in China

By Epoch Times Staff
Epoch Times Staff
Epoch Times Staff
February 23, 2009 Updated: February 24, 2009

Another food poisoning case in China was exposed last week, according to the Guangzhou City Food Safety Office. Since February 17, about 70 people were poisoned by clenbuterol after eating pig’s offal.

Clenbuterol is a drug used for breathing disorders such as a decongestant or in ashma treatment in humans and horses. Clenbuterol is banned for use in animal feed. However, it has been widely fed to pigs to keep their meat lean. The chemical will most likely accumulate in the animal’s organs such as the liver.

According to Hong Kong’s Mingpao News, patients said that the pig offal they ate were brought into the local markets at several locations. Test results from the Health Bureau in Tianhe District, Guangzhou, showed that the clenbuterol contained in the pork exceeded the standard. At present, most patients are better and have been discharged from the hospital.

The regime’s mouthpiece said, the problematic pork was from several counties in central China’s Hunan Province. Currently, the pork wholesaler in Guangzhou has tightened its inspections.

Clenbuterol poisoning incidents have often been heard of in China. In September 2006, over 300 people in Shanghai were poisoned.

Read original article in Chinese