Flushing Assailants Continue Malicious Behavior in Court

July 25, 2008 Updated: October 1, 2015

Court Adjourned: One of the Flushing assailants screams out of the window of a car following a court hearing on July 18. (Dayin Chen/The Epoch Times)
Court Adjourned: One of the Flushing assailants screams out of the window of a car following a court hearing on July 18. (Dayin Chen/The Epoch Times)
NEW YORK—Assailants who were arrested during attacks on Falun Gong practitioners in Flushing, Queens continued to demonstrate abusive behavior during a hearing at the Queens Criminal Court House.

On May 17, Falun Gong practitioners in Flushing who were volunteering at a booth for quitting the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) along Main Street found themselves surrounded by a group of pro-communist Chinese numbering in the hundreds. Many in the group waved red Chinese communist flags, physically attacked, and made death threats towards the Falun Gong practitioners who were present.

On a smaller scale, the attacks have continued, and at least 16 of the attackers have been arrested. Four of the assailants were scheduled to appear in court on July 18 at the Queens Criminal Court House, including John Zuan Yang, Huahong Li, Fu Ni, and Guan Chen.

Two of the assailants, walked into the courtroom wearing shirts that had hate propaganda against Falun Gong written on them. A man wearing a similar T-shirt was seen in Flushing on July 20, passing out newspapers also filled with CCP propaganda.

According to Janet Xiong, a Falun Gong practitioner who was sitting in the third row, when the two assailants realized that there were Falun Gong practitioners present, they began to quietly chant curses against the practice and said, “We must rid them from Flushing.”

By the Judge’s order, the court date was re-scheduled to September 8, and as people stood up to exit the courtroom, Huahong Li pulled out a small headband, on which hate materials had also been scribbled. Li hung it from her hand so that all who walked by her could see it. Some present reported her actions to the court police officers and Li quickly hid the headband until leaving the courtroom.

Erh Boon Tiong, a Falun Gong practitioner had been sitting outside the courtroom when the assailants walked out. Upon seeing him, they approached Tiong. In a menacing motion, Huahong Li stretched her headband close to Tiong’s face, while Fu Ni, stood nearby cursing and saying, “In Flushing, Falun Gong must not be allowed to exist.”

Witnessing this, police who were present approached the assailants and told them to leave.

Moving outside, the assailants began to shout insults and threats. Seeing their actions, Zhen Wang who was standing nearby took a photo of them. “She pounced on me like she was crazy and yelled at me, trying to stop me from taking pictures,” said Wang. “Several others with her cornered me and cursed at me, uncontrollably. I didn’t move and still took photos of all of them and what they were doing. One of them grabbed my hand and tried to take my camera. I broke free from his hands and one of them shouted, ‘I want to beat you to death so badly.’”

The assailants quickly left when patrol police arrived on the scene.

Follow Joshua on Twitter: @JoshJPhilipp