Florida, Massachusetts Announce 14-Day Quarantine for Louisiana Travelers

Florida governor says checkpoints will be used on roads coming into state
March 27, 2020 Updated: March 27, 2020

The governors of Florida and Massachusetts announced that travelers coming from Louisiana must undergo a mandatory, 14-day quarantine for the CCP virus.

Louisiana and New Orleans, the state’s largest city, have seen a significant uptick in cases over the past several days. More than 2,700 cases have been reported in the state and more than 110 people have died, according to researchers.

“I will be adding to my New York executive order, we will be requiring the same for travelers from New Orleans, Louisiana and other parts of Louisiana to self-isolate for 14 days,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said from his office Friday. “We are going to be authorizing the use of checkpoints on the roads coming into Florida for the counties and the Florida Highway Patrol.”

The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mismanagement allowed the virus to spread throughout China before it was transmitted worldwide.

A similar order was issued by the Florida governor for travelers from New York or New Jersey to self-isolate for two weeks amid a surge in cases around the New York City metropolitan area. DeSantis has also closed down the beaches in Palm Beach and Broward counties while also shuttering restaurants, gyms, and other businesses.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced a similar measure for Louisiana travelers.

“Here in Massachusetts we’re doing everything we can to keep people at home and prevent the spread,” he during a Friday press conference. “Starting today, all travelers allowed into the commonwealth are instructed to self-quarantine for 14 days.”

He said that people who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 should avoid traveling to Massachusetts entirely.

“Do not travel to our communities, especially if you have symptoms,” Baker added. “We are taking extraordinary steps here to keep our residents safe, including asking folks to stay home and closing nonessential businesses. Every which decision comes with a certain amount of pain, frustration and disruption for the people of the commonwealth,” he added.

The Advocate newspaper reported that 36 people died from the virus overnight across Louisiana. So far, 119 people have died in the state.

More than 2,700 cases of the virus have been confirmed as of Friday, officials said, according to WDSU. More than 1,100 cases are currently located in New Orleans.

“Every business [and] resident in our community has an obligation to treat this as a matter of life or death, [and] to abide by the directives we have issued – Social Distancing,” wrote New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell.