Flatiron Lit Up With Holiday Events: See the New Installation ‘New York Light’
Flatiron unveiled a glass-panel and LED light installation Nov. 25, to kick the season of holiday events, “23 Days of Flatiron Cheer.”
The contests, holiday-themed walks, and other events will run from Monday, Dec. 1, to Tuesday, Dec. 23.
“This holiday season, we invite visitors from around the corner and across the globe to discover Flatiron and enjoy an internationally recognized intersection of commerce and creativity,” said Jennifer Brown, Executive Director of the Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership.
The light installation is the winning design from a contest the Flatiron Partnership hosted over the summer with the Van Alen Institute.
“New York Light” was designed by Brooklyn-based INABA, bengal.fierro, Tillotson Design Associates, Robert Silman Associates, Walsh Electrical
Contracting Inc., DLC, International Lights, Crestron, Bartco Lighting, and Naho Kubota.
“The Flatiron Plaza is one of the few places where it’s possible to truly experience the magnificence of Manhattan’s urban plan. And it’s a unique spot in the heart of the city where the sky and skyline can be seen from street level,” said Jeffrey Inaba, Founder of INABA. “The installation is meant to be a place to take in these qualities, as well as to appreciate all of the street activity day and night through its many reflective panels.”
For 23 days until Dec. 23, the Flatiron Partnership is holding a series of events:
– Twitter/Instagram contest: anyone taking a photo of the New York Light installation can win prizes throughout the 23 days by posting the photos with #NewYorkLight
– Stop by the plaza for unannounced performances by local group Peoples Improv Theater
– Free Walking Tours: Professional guides will lead 90-minute holiday-themed tours highlighting the history and architecture of the neighborhood. Tours start at 11 a.m. every Sunday.
– Flatiron Prize Wheel: Spin for free and win prizes from local shops and restaurants
– Family-friendly events: Balloon, candy-cane, and hot beverage giveaways will go on throughout the season for children and adults
– Free gift wrapping: if you’re shopping for holiday gifts in the neighborhood, there will be free gift-wrapping at the North Public Plaza (show your Flatiron receipt for anything over $25)
– Donations: Food Bank for New York City will hold a food drive at the North Public Plaza, and online, where people can celebrate the holidays by giving back.