Fire Leaves 20,000 in Boston Without Power

March 14, 2012 Updated: March 14, 2012

A fire in a Boston utility facility late Tuesday left as many as 20,000 business and residential customers without power throughout Wednesday, according to utility provider NSTAR.

The utility company said that it would restore power to all the customers by the end of Wednesday.

“Then they said, ‘It’s an evacuation. Take your drink and go,” said Vicki Johnson, a visitor staying at the Hilton near the station that burned down, according to the Boston Herald. “It’s the most exciting glass of wine I ever had.”

Boston Police commissioner Edward Davis told the Boston Globe that Bostonians have been largely civil during the outage, saying that in other cities, riots have taken place after the power has gone out.

“It’s a real testament to the residents that it didn’t happen,” Davis told the Globe. “We are very happy with the way things have gone so far … Even the driving has been respectful.”