Fire Breaks Out at House That Was Owned by Jimmy Page and Aleister Crowley

December 23, 2015 8:23 pm Last Updated: December 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Firefighters were called to put out a fire at the Boleskine House, a home formerly owned by the likes of Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and English writer Aleister Crowley.

Crews from Foyers, Inverness, Beauly, and Dingwall were sent to the house, located near Loch Ness in Scotland.

A large portion of the property was destroyed in the blaze, the BBC reported. The Daily Record also reported that about 60 percent of the home was burned before fire crews arrived.

Photos and video footage uploaded to Twitter showed that flames from the fire were visible from the opposite side of Loch Ness.

Musician Jimmy Page speaks onstage at "An Evening With Jimmy Page And Chris Cornell In Conversation" at the Ace Hotel on November 12, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Musician Jimmy Page speaks onstage at “An Evening With Jimmy Page And Chris Cornell In Conversation” at the Ace Hotel on November 12, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “A large part of the property has already been destroyed by fire and crews are concentrating their efforts on the west wing of the building.

“Crews in breathing apparatus are using four main jets to tackle the blaze and the incident is ongoing.”

Crowley, a noted occultist, lived at the home from 1899 to 1913.

A number of dark incidents took place at the estate, including at least two violent deaths. In 1965, its then owner Major Edward Grant, committed suicide on the estate.

Later, Page purchased the house in the 1970s because Crowley had lived there. He later sold the property.

As the Inverness Courier noted, Page barely spent any time at the house before he sold it in 1992. Since then, it has been used as a private home or guest house.

The cemetery near the house (Google Maps)
The cemetery near the house (Google Maps)

The house was built in the late 1700s. It is also located right across from a cemetery on B852.