Female Falun Gong Practitioner Beaten to Death by Police in Shenyang

July 15, 2008 Updated: August 5, 2008

Chen Yumei, a 48-year-old female Falun Gong practitioner, was arrested and beaten on the morning of July 4, 2008, by police from the Changan police station, Shenyang City. Later that same evening she died in the hospital, due to severe injuries to the brain.

According to a report by Minghui.net, early in the morning police from the Changan station attempted to arrest Chen near her home on Pangjiang Street. They punched, kicked, and beat her until she fell to the ground, unconscious. Many bystanders witnessed the police’s brutal acts.

At about 9:00 a.m., after Chen was beaten, the five or six police officers arrived at her home. At their request, Chen’s family positively identified the unconscious person in the police vehicle as being her. They hastily departed.

Chen's family had her moved to Hospital No. 463, where she was diagnosed with massive hemorrhaging of the brain. The hospital staff determined that she would need an immediate operation. The operation was delayed until the family produced 10,000 yuan (approximately 1,462.70 US$) for the operation.

After a four-hour-long operation, Chen was moved to the intensive care unit. She had remained in a coma since the beating and according to her family, they observed bruises everywhere on her arms and legs. They assumed that the massive hemorrhaging of the brain was a result of the police beating. The doctor concluded that other injuries resulted from being beaten and being pulled to the ground, as well.

Chen’s condition did not improve after the operation and the hospital could not suggest any further options. Later the same evening, Chen passed away at about 8:30 p.m.

According to information from Minghui.net, in 2002, Chen had been arrested for practicing Falun Gong, and was then sent by the police to a brainwashing camp. She was released after taking part in a hunger strike.

As confirmed by Minghui.net, with Chen’s death, the number of Falun Gong practitioners who have been persecuted to death has risen to 3,165.