Father Charged in Deaths of Twins Left in Hot Car

By Chika Dunu, Epoch Times
August 5, 2016 Updated: August 5, 2016

A Georgia man is facing charges in relation to the deaths of his 16-month-old twin daughters, according to local reports.

Asa North, 24, was arrested and charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of reckless conduct after Ariel and Alaynah North were left in a hot car for an unknown amount of time on Aug. 4.

Officers from the Carrollton Police Department in Georgia responded to a 911 call of a disturbance at an apartment complex.

“The neighbors heard some screaming—I guess coming from the father—and saw him running around back with the two children.”

Arriving officers found North holding his daughters in an inflatable kiddie pool, in an apparent attempt to bring down their body temperatures. A neighbor provided assistance by offering ice packs.

Both were unresponsive and were pronounced dead at a local hospital. Autopsies are scheduled to determine the exact cause of death.

Authorities do not believe North intentionally left the children in the car.

“It’s just a tragic situation, a sad situation for the whole family and for the community,” Dobbs told CBS46.

Police said the children’s mother was  at work in Atlanta at the time of the incident, according to CBS46.

There’s been a spate of these cases during this summer’s heat wave. 

Less than a week ago, an Arkansas mother was cited for second-degree endangering the welfare of a minor after she left her 4-month-old baby in the family’s hot vehicle.

Brittany N. Reeder didn’t want to wake her sleeping daughter when the family arrived at a local pizzeria, so she decided to leave the baby in the car. The infant was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

“The outside temperature was 96 degrees with a heat index of 108 degrees,” responding Officer Keith Baggett said.

Reeder had a court appearance on Aug. 3.

In another case, Samaria Motyka, 4, of Williamsport, Pa. died on July 22 after she was left inside a hot car for several hours. Motyka’s caregiver forgot to drop the toddler off at daycare.

Two days later on July 24, a two-year-old Dallas boy died after he was left in his parents’ hot SUV while they were in church. Family friend Reng Om described Boi Lei Sang’s health condition. 

“He was very… looked like bad. He was grabbing his kid, and the kid would not move, and, ‘I need somebody help, call the police,'” Reng Om told CBS Dallas.