Explosion in Lacey Township, New Jersey Home Caused by Hoverboard: Officials

By Epoch Newsroom
Epoch Newsroom
Epoch Newsroom
December 28, 2015 Updated: December 28, 2015

A hoverboard in New Jersey caught fire while charging over the weekend, causing an explosion in a Lacey Township home.

The Lanoka Harbor Fire Department, which responded to the call, urged people to be careful with the popular toys.

“Do not leave them unattended monitor them while charging…. Register them for warranties and check for manufacturer recalls,” the department said in a Facebook post.


FYI Be careful when charging up Hover boards, we responded to call today due to a hoverboard catching fire. Do not leave…

Posted by Lanoka Harbor Fire Station 61 on Sunday, December 27, 2015

The latest explosion comes after national officials in both the United States and United Kingdom warned consumers that some hoverboards are exploding or catching on fire, both while charging and while being used.

No injuries were reported from the Lacey Township fire, reported WPVI. The homeowners and their family were home when the hoverboard was charging. The picture on the left shows the extent of the damage, a portion of burnt carpet.

The fire is under investigation by the Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office.