Everett Boeing Shooting? Washington Factory Gunman Unconfirmed [Update: No Shots Fired]

October 30, 2014 Updated: October 30, 2014

Unconfirmed reports on Thursday night indicate there’s a man with a gun at a Boeing factory in Everett, Washington. However, police officials in Everett have yet to confirm if there’s a gunman.

UPDATE at 8:05 p.m. PT – Everett Police said, “No sightings of male with weapon – officers searching buildings.”

Boeing also tweeted shortly after, saying: “We are actively working to ensure security of all employees as police investigate unsubstantiated threat at Everett factory.”

No shots were fired, KIRO-TV reported.

Boeing employees were being escorted out of the factory, reports said. A spokesperson with Boeing said that reports of a gunman are “unsubstantiated,” according to a Wall Street Journal reporter.

There were rumors about a shooting at the Boeing plant going around on Twitter as the reports were coming out, but those appear to be just speculation with no basis.

Local media said police received multiple reports of a gunman with a rifle.

“Everett police are responding to unconfirmed reports of a man with a weapon at Boeing’s Everett plant. Multiple units on scene, per scanner,” the Seattle Times reporter Paige Cornwell said on Twitter.

KING-5 News also said, “ Everett Police have multiple reports of person with weapon at Boeing Everett.”

An eyewitness told KOMO-TV the man had a rifle at Building 56 of Boeing’s Everett plant.



Man wanted in Pennsylvania trooper ambush captured  

BLOOMING GROVE, Pa. (AP) — A survivalist accused of ambushing two state troopers, killing one and seriously wounding the other, was captured on Thursday by U.S. marshals in an abandoned airplane hangar, ending a seven-week manhunt that had rattled the nerves of area residents, authorities said.

The apparently quiet takedown of Eric Frein ended weeks of tension and turmoil in the area, as authorities at times closed schools, canceled outdoor events and blockaded roads to pursue him. Residents grew weary of hearing helicopters overhead, while small businesses suffered mounting losses and town supervisors canceled a popular Halloween parade.

State police confirmed Frein was taken into custody Thursday but released no other details. Photographs showed him sitting in the back of a cruiser with a bloodied nose, with longer hair than he had in images on the FBI’s most wanted posters.

Two law enforcement officials said Frein was captured in the hangar. They weren’t authorized to discuss the circumstances of Frein’s arrest and spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity. A federal law enforcement official in Washington said Frein was armed when he was captured.

Frein is charged with opening fire outside the Blooming Grove barracks on Sept. 12, killing Cpl. Bryon Dickson and seriously wounding another trooper.

Police said they linked him to the ambush after a man walking his dog discovered his partly submerged SUV three days later in a swamp a few miles from the shooting scene. Inside, investigators found shell casings matching those found at the barracks as well as Frein’s driver’s license, camouflage face paint, two empty rifle cases and military gear.

Officials, saying Frein was armed and extremely dangerous, had urged residents to be alert and cautious. Using dogs, thermal imaging technology and other tools, law enforcement officials combed miles of forest as they hunted for Frein, whom they called an experienced survivalist at home in the woods.

They pursued countless tips and closed in on an area around Frein’s parents’ home in Canadensis after he used his cellphone to try contacting them and the signal was traced to a location about 3 miles away. At times police ordered nearby residents to stay inside or prevented them from returning home.

Trackers found items they believe Frein hid or abandoned in the woods — including soiled diapers, empty packs of Serbian cigarettes, an AK-47-style assault rifle and ammunition and two pipe bombs that were functional and capable of causing significant damage. They also discovered a journal, allegedly kept by Frein and found in a bag of trash at a hastily abandoned campsite, that offered a chilling account of the ambush and his subsequent escape into the woods. The journal’s author described Dickson as falling “still and quiet” after being shot twice.

Police spotted a man they believed to be Frein at several points during the manhunt, but it was always from a distance, with the rugged terrain allowing him to keep them at bay. Police said he appeared to be treating the manhunt as a game.

Frein had expressed anti-law enforcement views online and to people who knew him. His criminal record appeared limited to a decade-old misdemeanor case involving items stolen from a World War II re-enactors event in upstate New York, for which he spent 109 days in jail.