Eastern Lead Premier League from Sun Pegasus and South China

Association football—Hong Kong
January 28, 2015 Updated: January 28, 2015

HONG KONG—Premier League fixtures resumed last weekend.

On Saturday (Jan 24) the game between Wo Foo Tai Po and YFCMD held at Tai Po Sports ground was eventually settled in the 95th minute of time added on when Fernando Pedreiro converted a penalty kick.

Eastern then took on Kitchee in a game of championship contenders at Mongkok Stadium. Eastern took the lead in the 32nd minute when Miroslav Saric finished from a Michel Lugo pass, whilst Kitchee equalised in the 47th minute of time added on, when Paulo Carreiro headed in from Lo Kwan-yee’s cross for a half time 1-all scoreline.

Eastern regained the lead in the 72nd minute through Liang Zicheng, and Dylan Macallister added a third in the 79th minute, scoring from close range after Michel Lugo’s shot was parried by Kitchee goalkeeper Guao Jianqiao making the final result 3-1.

Sunday’s (Jan 25) game at Kowloon Bay Park between BC Rangers and I-Sky Yuen Long was goalless in the first half. BC Rangers settled the game in the second half with an opener in the 48th minute when Allan Checozzi won the ball and fed Yago Lopez to score, and the decider in the 56th minute when Chow Cheuk-fung’s corner was knocked in by Chuck Yiu-kwok.

Sunday’s other clash was between title contenders Sun Pegasus and South China at Mongkok Stadium. South China opened the scoring in the 4th minute when Yuto Nakamura headed in Lo Kong-wai’s cross, but Sun Pegasus equalised in the 10th minute when Yip Tsz-chun scored after South China goalkeeper Cristian Mora parried a deflection from Landon Ling’s cross.

South China re-took the lead in the 42nd minute when Chan Siu-kwai scored from Chan Siu-ki’s cross, and extended their lead in the 44th minute when Yuto Nakamura’s scored his second as Sun Pegasus goalkeeper Jarred Tyson parried a header from Chan Siu-ki’s corner. Soutrh China thus led 3-1 at the half time break.

South China extended their lead in the 67th minute when Chan Siu-ki scored from Awal Mahama’s cross, with Petrisor Voinea gaining a consolation goal for Sun Pegasus in the 90th minute, and a final 4-2 victory for South China.

Eastern now lead the Premier League standings with 22 points from 9 games, ahead of second placed Sun Pegasus with 19 points from 10 games. South China are third on goal difference with 19 points from 10 games, Kitchee are fourth with 14 points from 7 games, and YFCMD fifth with 13 points from 7 games.

There were no games in the lower HKFA leagues, with the 3 leagues resuming their rounds of matches at the start of February.

Yau Yee League
The leadership positions continued to switch in the first division after clashes between some of the contenders. GAS and Wanderers ended with a 1-all draw, Albion beat KCC Dragons 4-1, USRC were 3-nil victors over French Kiss, Colts won 2-1 over Corinthians, Swiss XI won 2-1 against Boca Seniors, and Baker Tilly Spartans were 2-1 victors over The Store House Hearts.

The early match at Sports Road saw a competitive game between Wanderers and GAS where both sides generally cancelled each other out, and there were few clear cut chances created. Wanderers took the lead in the 20th minute when a ball was fed to Terry Harris on the left edge of the ‘D’ on the GAS penalty box, which he laid off for Neil Shonhard to drive the ball into the left hand corner of the net. Despite GAS having a couple of clear cut chances to score through Jack Cullinane, Wanderers retained their lead to the half time break.

GAS had much of the possession and territory in the second half, but created few clear chances, and Wanderers appeared to be looking to hold out, only creating a clear cut chance when Simon Galvin broke onto a long ball only to see his shot saved by GAS goalkeeper, Adam Bilbey, in a one on one. GAS eventually got their equaliser in the 77th minute after work down the left-hand side resulted in a more or less carbon copy of the opener, but this time with Chris Davis firing into the bottom left-hand corner of the Wanderers net.

USRC lead a cluster at the top of the table on 33 points, Albion are second on 32 points and a superior goal difference over third place Wanderers, with KCC Dragons fourth on 30 points, and GAS fifth with 27 points.

In the second division, HKDC Mobsters prevailed 1-nil against WYFC06, SFALO Oxford won 3-1 against CSOB, GGFC drew 2-all with KCC Knights, HKU70’s drew 1-all against The Store House Hearts, ANP drew 1-all with Antonhill, and Azzurri were 2-1 winners against Interglobo Colloids. HKDC Mobsters now lead the table with 36 points from 15 games, with HKU70’s second with 33 points from the same games, and The Store House Hearts third on 29 points.

In the third division, University were beaten 1-nil by Green Cypress FC, HOB drew 2-all with White Youth, IES were 2-nil winners over Goal Visio, HKUSA were 1-nil victors over Yan Po, Scorpions were beaten 5-nil by CAPS, and Dynamo were 3-1 winners against Darts. University now lead the table with 38 points from 15 games, with IES second with 36 points from the same games.

In the fourth division, Rising Sun were 2-nil victors over Friends of Barclays, HKSS were 3-1 victors over Skyline, Youth Coaches won 1- nil against Grasshoppers, WYFC84 were 1-nil victors over Outward Bound, and Power 22 won 5-2 against Bapcoll.

Power 22 lead the division with 38 points from 14 games, with HKSS second with 36 points from the same games.

Allan Jackson has been involved in Soccer for more than 40 years as a player, referee, administrator and freelance writer.