The Walt Disney Co. on Thursday announced it would close Disneyland over concerns about the COVID-19 coronavirus.
The closure will go into effect starting on Saturday, March 14, and last until the end of the month, the company confirmed. It will work with visitors who want to change or cancel their plans and provide refunds on hotel bookings.
“While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month,” the company said in a statement.
The Walt Disney Co. added, “The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open. We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.”
Gov. Gavin Newsom told reporters earlier in the day that Disneyland and other theme parks do not have to comply with the state’s new ban on large gatherings to curb the spread of the virus.
It’s not clear if Disney World in Florida will be impacted by the directive. Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland have been shut down for weeks over COVID-19.
“Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. Please contact The Walt Disney Travel Company for questions and cancellations at 714-520-5050,” the Disneyland statement concluded.