Disneyland, Disney World Closed Until Further Notice Over CCP Virus

March 27, 2020 Updated: March 27, 2020

The Walt Disney Company said that both Florida’s Disney World and Southern California’s Disneyland are going to remain closed until further notice amid the CCP virus pandemic.

The two theme parks were closed down earlier this month, with Disney saying that it would last until the end of March. But as COVID-19 cases have continued to surge across the United States, such a move seemed unlikely.

The Epoch Times refers to the novel coronavirus, which causes the disease COVID-19, as the CCP virus because the Chinese Communist Party’s coverup and mismanagement allowed the virus to spread throughout China before it was transmitted worldwide.

“While there is still much uncertainty with respect to the impacts of COVID-19, the safety and well-being of our guests and employees remains The Walt Disney Company’s top priority,” the Walt Disney Company in a statement on Friday. “As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice.”

Disney said it has been paying its theme park cast members since the parks were closed down.

“In light of this ongoing and increasingly complex crisis, we have made the decision to extend paying hourly parks and resorts cast members through April 18,” the company wrote.

Universal Studios, operated by Comcast’s NBCUniversal, also closed down its U.S. locations in the midst of the outbreak. According to a recent statement, Universal Studios extended its parks reopening date to April 19.

Universal Studios made its decision about a week after Jeffrey Ghazarian, a 34-year-old man from Southern California, died of COVID-19 complications. He is said to have visited the park in Florida along with nearby Disney World before he became ill.

“Our thoughts are with this gentleman and his family. As is always the case, we will take our guidance from local health officials,” Alyson Lundell, spokeswoman for Universal Orlando, told ClickOrlando.

A Disney spokesperson told the Miami Herald: “We offer our deepest condolences to the family of Mr. Ghazarian. We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and remain in regular contact with health agencies for information and guidance.”

California is currently under a stay-at-home order, which means that all nonessential businesses have to remain closed. Florida’s Orange County, where Disney World is located, also issued a stay-at-home order ending April 9.

As of now, all of Disney’s theme parks, including ones in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, and Shanghai, are shut down.