Detroit Father Leaves Small Children in Car While He Gambles

By Chika Dunu, Epoch Times
August 29, 2016 Updated: August 29, 2016

A Detroit father was in police custody on Monday, Aug. 29, after he left his two young children unattended in a locked car as he gambled at a nearby casino, according to local reports.

According to The Detroit News, police received a report of two children in a parking garage in the 2900 block of Grand River at around 11:25 a.m.

“There were two children, a 2-year-old male and a 5-month-old male,” officer Shanelle Williams said. “They were removed from the vehicle by a citizen who forced entry into the car. When the scout (car) arrived, the children were already removed from the vehicle and awaiting police in a nearby office.”

The 25-year-old unnamed father was found on the first floor of the MotorCity Casino and is said to have been gambling for at least an hour.

MotorCity Casino spokeswoman Jacci Woods described how the events unfolded in a statement to Epoch Times.

“An observant MotorCity Casino employee noticed the children alone inside the car in our covered parking structure and immediately reported it,” Woods said in an email to Epoch Times. “We then promptly contacted DPD and took steps to extricate the children from the car and ensure their safety.”

She said to Detroit Free Press, “It’s always a great concern when you have children left in a car. Heat is always a danger. At that age, 5 months old and a 2-year-old, kids being left unattended, especially when we have those temperatures, is a great concern.”

The Weather Channel reports a high temperature of 82 degrees Fahrenheit and plenty of sunshine are expected in Detroit on Monday. The relatively high temperatures can become deadly for people left inside a parked car without any ventilation. 

“When temperatures outside range from 80 degrees to 100 degrees, the temperature inside a car parked in direct sunlight can quickly climb to between 130 to 172,” according to Heat Kills

The young boys were unharmed, and the Detroit Police Child Abuse unit and the Child Protective Services had been notified. 

Police are continuing to investigate.