The Challenge: Yawn… beige-on-beige just doesn’t cut it for a formal living room. An uninviting, boring room does nothing to encourage lively conversation when entertaining family and friends.
The Solution: Now that it’s redesigned, this room speaks loud and clear with its high-contrast and dramatic colour scheme of charcoal grey, white, and red. A touch of soft brown in the upholstery and rug softens the look. The addition of a classic, coffered ceiling painted in a crisp white to match the moulding creates a formal ambiance in this room. Vibrant red accents and silk draperies punctuate the sexy appeal of this well-appointed space.
• Wall colour: Benjamin Moore, Temptation 1609, www.benjaminmoore.ca
• Chairs: Jane by Jane Lockhart, “Desi” & “Benny,” www.janelockhart.com
• Leather sofa: Jane by Jane Lockhart, “Carson,” www.janelockhart.com
• Designed by: Jane Lockhart, www.janelockhart.com
The Challenge: Although this basement is large, bright,and offered plenty of space for a family to play, relax, and entertain, it was stark and lacked ambiance, comfort, and style.
The Solution: Almost unnoticeable before, the large gas fireplace became the heart and focal point of the basement. A gorgeous textured wall created with a natural stone veneer in a warm grey contrasts with the white fireplace mantel. Above the mantel, the wall is painted in a grey tone pulled from the stone. Mesh roller blinds on the small windows help darken the room when watching television. Sheer, grey draperies soften the large sliding glass doors without blocking the view of the garden. Generously proportioned furnishings arranged around the large tufted ottoman add comfort and style to the room, which was designed for the purpose of lounging and relaxing.
• Wall colour: Dulux, Mayflower Blue 70BG 41/201, www.dulux.ca
• TV wall: Benjamin Moore, Wall Street CSP-20, www.benjaminmoore.ca
• White armless chairs: Jane by Jane Lockhart, “Donna,” www.janelockhart.com
• Designed by Jane Lockhart, www.janelockhart.com
Canadian Home Trends Magazine gives you a personal tour of the most stunning homes and condos. In each issue, you are given the tools to recreate designer spaces you’ve always dreamt of having at home, in-depth renovation and design advice, and the best places to shop. To subscribe, visit www.CanadianHomeTrends.com