Daunting, Daring, Irresistible Yankee Quiz 6
With spring training underway, with thoughts of the national pastime in the air, with so many of you asking for the next QUIZ—here it is. Fifty percent correct score gets you into the Yankee expert zone.
71. What is the significance of William S. Devery and Frank J. Farrell in the history of the franchise? _______
72. How many times did George Steinbrenner hire and fire Billy Martin?
A. 4 B. 5 C. 6 D. 7
73. Who was the 20th manager in Steinbrenner’s time?
A. Billy Martin B. Stump Merrill C. Buck Showalter D. Joe Torre?
74. Who pitched the first no-hitter against the Yankees?
A. George Foster B. Cy Young C. Bob Feller D. Hoyt Wilhelm
75. Which former Yankees player went on to serve as president of the American League? _______
76. Mickey Mantle was a rookie in 1951 but a different Yankee won Rookie of the Year. Who was he?
A. Gene Woodling B. Andy Carey C. Gil McDougald D. Hank Bauer
77. What Yankee, in his first four years, played on four world championship teams?
78. Two Yankees came to the major leagues without having played one game in the minors. Who were they? _______
79. What Yankee was in the D-Day landing at Omaha Beach June 6, 1944?
A. Ralph Houk B. Yogi Berra C. Jerry Coleman D. Hank Bauer
80. Bob Sheppard had the nick-name “Voice of God.” Who gave him the nickname? _______
71. They were owners of the Highlanders|Yankees from (1903-1915).
72. —The magic number— B. 5
73. C. Buck Showalter
74. B. Cy Young
75. Dr. Bobby Brown
76. C. Gil McDougald
77. A. Joe DiMaggio
78. Catfish Hunter, Dave Winfield
79. B.Yogi Berra
80. D. Reggie Jackson
Dr. Harvey Frommer, a professor at Dartmouth College in the MALS program, is in his 40th year of writing books. A noted oral historian and sports journalist, he is the author of 42 sports books including the classics: best-selling “New York City Baseball, 1947-1957″ and best-selling Shoeless Joe and Ragtime Baseball,as well as his acclaimed Remembering Yankee Stadium and best-selling Remembering Fenway Park. His highly praised When It Was Just a Game: Remembering the First Super Bowl was published last fall.
His Frommer Baseball Classic – Remembering Yankee Stadium (Second Edition) is his newest sports effort. Autographed copies at the ready of this and his other books.. https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781630761554/Remembering-Yankee-Stadium-Second-Edition