Damaged by Sandy, 40 Boat Launches Reopen

By Joshua Philipp
Joshua Philipp
Joshua Philipp
Joshua Philipp is an award-winning investigative reporter with The Epoch Times and host of EpochTV's "Crossroads" program. He is a recognized expert on unrestricted warfare, asymmetrical hybrid warfare, subversion, and historical perspectives on today’s issues. His 10-plus years of research and investigations on the Chinese Communist Party, subversion, and related topics give him unique insight into the global threat and political landscape.
May 23, 2013 Updated: July 18, 2015

NEW YORK—After being closed since October, 40 boat launches were reopened on May 22 at 9 city-owned reservoirs, mainly east of the Hudson River. Fallen or damaged trees were the main cause of the closures, many of which were leaning towards power lines or fell in areas that could have endangered the public.

Hurricane Sandy knocked down close to 2,000 trees around Cross River, Croton Falls, East Branch, Kensico, Muscoot, New Croton, Rondout, Titicus and West Branch reservoirs, according to a press release from the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

The downed trees did not go to waste. Around 90 percent of the fallen trees were either chipped for reuse or left on the ground for landscaping. The other 10 percent were straight logs, which were used to build barriers for roadside parking lots. Cleanup crews had to wait until after winter to finish up, since snow and wind made the work too hazardous.

“Despite the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, and thanks to the hard work of the dedicated men and women who deliver more than a billion gallons of safe drinking water to New York City every day, I am thrilled that our boat launches will be open for the hundreds of fisherman who plan to visit New York City’s scenic reservoirs this Memorial Day weekend,” said DEP Commissioner Carter Strickland, in the press release.

Joshua Philipp is an award-winning investigative reporter with The Epoch Times and host of EpochTV's "Crossroads" program. He is a recognized expert on unrestricted warfare, asymmetrical hybrid warfare, subversion, and historical perspectives on today’s issues. His 10-plus years of research and investigations on the Chinese Communist Party, subversion, and related topics give him unique insight into the global threat and political landscape.