Couple Found Dead With Sign on Door Warning Not to Go Inside

January 6, 2017 Updated: January 6, 2017

Authorities in Greenville County say they have found the bodies of a couple after someone found a sign on the door warning people not to come inside.

The sign also instructed anyone coming to the door to wait for help.

Coroner Parks Evans told media outlets Friday that 69-year-old Paul Smith and his 70-year-old wife Sandra showed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and also had wounds on their bodies. He did not give additional details on their injuries.

Evans says it appears to be a murder-suicide, but more investigation is needed before a final determination.

Deputies say they were called to the home near Berea around 9 p.m. Thursday.