Costa Mesa Man Pleads Guilty to ‘Disruption’ for Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

By Carol Cassis
Carol Cassis
Carol Cassis
May 21, 2022 Updated: May 22, 2022

WASHINGTON—A California man pleaded guilty on May 19 to a felony charge for his actions during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. According to a statement released by the U.S. Justice Department, “his and others’ actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election.”

Christian Alexander Secor, 23, of Costa Mesa, California, pleaded guilty in the District of Columbia to obstruction of an official proceeding. According to court documents, on the day of the 2020 election, Nov. 3, 2020, Secor sent a text message stating, “We’re gonna win bigly and if we don’t we’re taking this ship down in flames.”

Evidence goes on to show that in preparation for the events of Jan. 6, Secor messaged another individual on Jan. 5, 2021, stating that he “brought a gas mask” to Washington and that he “wouldn’t be surprised if conservatives just storm the police and clobber Antifa and the police but that’s wishful thinking.”

On Jan. 6, he marched to the Capitol, carrying a large blue flag. At about 2 p.m., he was in the group that was illegally on restricted Capitol grounds. He subsequently climbed scaffolding to reach the Upper West Terrace of the building, according to court documents.

At about 2:26 p.m., he entered the Capitol through the Senate Wing Door. He made his way to the Crypt, to the House side of the building, and then to the second floor.

He then walked through the office suite of the Speaker of the House, documents show.

Secor then moved to the East Rotunda doors. According to the Justice Department, he helped a group that was inside the building push the doors open to let others inside.

He continued to move through the building, and at approximately 2:42 p.m., Secor entered the Senate chamber, according to the Justice Department.

From there, he entered the Senate floor, went to the Senate dais, and sat in the seat that had been occupied by Vice President Mike Pence approximately 30 minutes earlier. He exited the building at about 2:51 p.m, documents show.

On the evening of Jan. 6, Secor posted on Twitter about what took place that day, saying, among other things, “One day accomplished more for conservatism than the last 30 years.”

Secor was arrested on Feb. 16, 2021, in Costa Mesa. He is to be sentenced on Oct. 7, 2022. He faces a statutory maximum of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

In the 16 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 800 individuals have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for charges related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 250 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement. The investigation is ongoing.

The case is being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section.

Carol Cassis