So apparently UFC star Conor McGregor does have an announcement in the works.
The 27-year-old UFC star, who was scheduled to fight Nate Diaz at UFC 200 in July and instead stunned the world with his retirement tweet on Tuesday, appeared to have posted a tweet on Wednesday saying, “I”m going to make an announcement,” before deleting it shortly thereafter. Finally on Thursday, he cleared it up with another tweet saying, “Ok no more games. I am going to release a statement shortly.”
Ok no more games.
I am going to release a statement shortly.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 21, 2016
I have decided to retire young.
Thanks for the cheese.
Catch ya’s later.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 19, 2016
On Tuesday, just hours after McGregor’s shocking retirement tweet, UFC President Dana White said McGregor had been pulled from the event due to the Irishman’s unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.
“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we’re working on other fights right now,” White said Tuesday on ESPN’s Sportscenter. “Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He’s in Iceland training.
“Is Conor retiring? Only he can answer that question. I don’t know.”
Here is a screenshot
Conor McGregor tweets “I’m going to make an announcement”
He deleted it seconds after posting pic.twitter.com/yWfMK0oljt
— MMA History Today (@MMAHistoryToday) April 20, 2016
If he’s really retiring, it was a pretty good run by McGregor. The Irish fighter went 7–1 in his eight UFC fights, including three impressive 2015 knockout wins over Dennis Siver, Chad Mendes, and Jose Aldo that sent him into superstardom. The Aldo fight might have been his most dominant showing ever as he set a UFC title-match record by knocking Aldo out cold in just 13 seconds at UFC 194 in December.
At UFC 196 this past March though, the featherweight champion McGregor went up two weight classes to take on welterweight Nate Diaz and lost in the second round, via submission. His scheduled July fight was to be a much-anticipated rematch of the shocking loss.
‘No More Games’ – Conor McGregor Teases Statement After Last Night’s Deleted Tweet https://t.co/I2sQLfD9LL
— Balls.ie (@ballsdotie) April 21, 2016
McGregor’s retirement tweet came just a week after he witnessed the death of fellow MMA fighter João Carvalho, who died after suffering injuries in a match in Dublin. “To see a young man doing what he loves, competing for a chance at a better life, and then to have it taken away is truly heartbreaking,” wrote McGregor on his Facebook account.