Conor McGregor: MMA Fighter Says He Isn’t Retiring and Is Ready for UFC 200 Event

By Dave Martin, Epoch Times
April 21, 2016 11:45 am Last Updated: April 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Conor McGregor says he is not retired.

The 27-year-old UFC star, who stunned the world with his retirement announcement Tuesday, posted a long explanation of his side of things on Thursday and concluded by simply saying, “I AM NOT RETIRED.”

“I need to focus on me now,” McGregor says in the 651-word post, which explains how he feels he needs to get back to worrying about training more than promoting. “I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.

“With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.

“I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.

“I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.”

McGregor’s last fight was a stunning, second-round loss to Nate Diaz, via submission, at UFC 196, that dropped his UFC record to 7–1. He was scheduled to take on Diaz again at UFC 200 in July until his retirement tweet came out earlier this week.

On Tuesday, just hours after the tweet, UFC President Dana White said McGregor had been pulled from the event due to the Irishman’s unwillingness to fly to Las Vegas and participate in mandatory promotional activities.

“We pulled Conor McGregor from UFC 200 and we’re working on other fights right now,” White said Tuesday on ESPN’s Sportscenter. “Conor did not want to come to Las Vegas and film the commercial and be a part of the marketing. He’s in Iceland training.”

McGregor’s post explains his side of things.

“I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus,” said McGregor on Facebook. “I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.

“But it was denied.”

Later McGregor says, “I feel the $400 million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.

“I am still ready to go for UFC 200. 

“I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions. If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don’t know what to say.”