Paul Walker’s Brother Cody Walker Could be Tapped for ‘Fast & Furious 7’: Reports Say
Cody Walker, the brother of dead actor Paul Walker, is said to be a prospect to replace him in “Fast & Furious 7,” according to reports this week.
“Fast & Furious 7” was halfway through production when Walker was killed in a fiery car crash on Nov. 30.
There’s been few updates about the film in recent weeks, but on Sunday, “Fast & Furious” star Vin Diesel wrote on Facebook that the film will come out in 2015.
“The last scene we filmed together…” he wrote on Facebook, referring to Walker’s scene. He added: “There was a unique sense of completion, of pride we shared… in the film we were now completing… the magic captured… and, in just how far we’ve come… Fast and Furious 7 will be released… April 10th 2015! P.s. He’d want you to know first.”
The movie’s producers had a meeting about what to do next after his death, a source close to the production told the Daily Mail tabloid.
“They soon realized they needed someone who looked like Paul to finish the movie and that’s when they approached his nearly identical brother, Cody,” a source was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying.
According to the source, “They can shoot Cody from behind and at distance and if it’s a shot they need Paul’s face in close up they can CGI it later on. If Cody agrees it’s because he wants to honor his brother’s memory. There are many details that still need to be worked out, but right now the family and cast and crew are all still grieving.”
Cody Walker has been involved in movies in the past, doing stunt work. Cody, who lives in Oregon, had been staying with his mother in Los Angeles after Paul’s death.
“Fast & Furious” sources also told The Hollywood Reporter that the movie’s writer, Chris Morgan, is looking at revising the script to retire Paul’s character in using scenes that have already been shot.
“Almost exactly half of his role was done,” a source said.
If Morgan succeeds in rewriting the script, the cast and crew members could come back by January, but that seems unlikely, the Reporter said.
A spokesperson with Universal Studios told the Mail that they will seek guidance from Walker’s family to see a fitting way to end his character in the potential “Fast & Furious 7” movie.
“At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on Fast & Furious 7 for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise. We are committed to keeping Fast & Furious fans informed, and we will provide further information to them when we have it. Until then, we know they join us in mourning the passing of our dear friend Paul Walker,” the spokesman was quoted as saying.
Universal has already spent around $150 million on the film.
This week, investigators have found no evidence that the Porsche that was carrying Paul Walker and driver Roger Rodas had mechanical problems before it crashed, The Associated Press reported.
Officials also ruled out that debris or conditions on the roadway helped cause the crash. Walker and Rodas were traveling in a 2005 Porsche Carerra GT–considered notoriously difficult to handle–when it slammed into a light pole.
“We’re looking at speed and speed alone,” a law enforcement source told AP.
Walker, 40, and Rodas, 40, were traveling from a charity event in Southern California the accident occurred. Rodas was a former professional driver who competed in 10 Pirelli World Challenge GTS races.