Claudine Barretto Dead? No, Filipino Actress Hasn’t Died of a Drug Overdose; She’s a Victim of Death Hoax

By Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Reporter
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. news, including politics and court cases. He started at The Epoch Times as a New York City metro reporter.
May 27, 2014 Updated: July 18, 2015

Claudine Barretto is not dead, despite rumors to the contrary.

The Filipino actress did not die of a drug overdose, her lawyer emphasized after rumors started spreading via social media websites on Tuesday.

Ferdinand Topacio, the lawyer, told DZMM that he has enlisted the help of the Philippine National Police Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) Cybercrime Unit to deal with the rumor.

The rumor fooled multiple media outlets, including the usually-solid ABS-CBN.

Tapacio said that it is a “cruel joke” and admonished whoever is possible.

Her estranged husband Raymart Santiago accused Barretto of using illegal drugs last year, but the actress tested negative for drugs.

She’s also dealing with controversies involving her sisters.

Zachary Stieber
Zachary Stieber
Reporter
Zachary Stieber covers U.S. news, including politics and court cases. He started at The Epoch Times as a New York City metro reporter.