Many of the biggest names of the fashion world are in Dallas Tuesday, where Karl Lagerfeld hosts the Chanel Pre-Fall Show, also known as Metiers d’Art.
After last year’s show, “From Paris to Edinburgh,” Lagerfeld decided to bring the Paris-based Chanel’s fashion to an American venue. When Lagerfeld, the creative director, chose Dallas, it wasn’t just a choice of venue, however; the collection will reflect Texan style—we’ll have to wait until the show begins to see how.
In previous years, the style changed according to the hosting country as well.
Remembering Chanel’s success in America in 1954 when Chanel reopened, Lagerfeld told Vogue: “When Chanel reopened, the French press was beyond nasty. The only press that understood it immediately was the American press—so I think it’s a nice thing to go there.”
Dallas was particularly supportive of Chanel. Edinburgh was also chosen last year for its connection to Chanel. Coco Chanel fell in love in Scotland with the Duke of Westminster—and also with the traditional woolen cloth, which turned out to be Chanel’s iconic tweed.
A film about Coco Chanel titled “The Return,” will premiere Tuesday night. Lagerfeld directed it.
Dallas News has published a list of stars currently at the Show:
1. Dree Hemingway, model and actor
2. Kristen Stewart, actor
3. Dakota Fanning, actor
4. Lauren Hutton, model and actor
5. Poppy Delevingne, model and sister to model Cara Delevingne
6. Alexa Chung, model and contributing editor at British Vogue
7. Giovanna Battaglia, the editor of L’Uomo Vogue and a freelance stylist and contributing fashion editor to W magazine
8. Stella Tennant, model
9. Erin Wasson, model and native of Irving, Texas (and the winner of the first Fashion Dallas/Kim Dawson Agency model search, 1997)
10. Caroline Sieber, baroness, stylist, Chanel brand ambassador