California Man Confesses on Television to Murder Committed 25 Years Ago

January 12, 2018 Updated: January 12, 2018

A 25-year-old cold case murder may finally be solved after a Californian man said his faith in God led him to confess to the crime.

Brian Keith Hawkins, 44, turned himself in to the Sheriff’s office after he confessed to killing 20-year-old Frank Wesley McAlister in an interview with KRCR news on Jan. 9.

Hawkins, who was subsequently arrested by police on burglary and robbery charges, named 46-year-old Shanna Culver and her brother 45-year-old Curtis Culver as accomplices, according to the news station.

Police investigators said they believed the motive was robbery.

In 1993, McAlister received some money from a settlement. The trio then lured the 20-year-old to Shingletown under the guise of selling him methamphetamine. When he arrived, the trio robbed McAlister, and Hawkins and Curtis Culver stabbed him to death. They left his body at the location and fled in his car, eventually dumping his car at a Costco parking lot, according to the news station, citing police.

During the interview, Hawkins refused to provide details of the crime but said he wanted to confess because of his newfound faith in God.

“God and Christ and these things that have happened over the course of 25 years have pushed me and pushed me to do the right thing,” Hawkins told the news station. “I know the wrong can’t be changed but this is the closest I can come to doing the right thing.”

He described the last 25 years has been a nightmare for him.

“Horrible, horrible, horrible, absolute horror, absolutely horrible since that day. Every minute of every day has been a nightmare,” Hawkins said in the interview.

“It’s kind of weird, Frank never got to have a life, but we were teenagers and now I’m 44 and still haven’t even had a life and now most likely won’t anyway,” he continued.

“I’ve been through hell my whole life because of this,” he added.

Hawkins said he tried to reach out to McAlister’s family last year, however, his father Douglas Irvin McAlister had already passed away.

“I talked to them several times and told them I was going to make it there so I could tell them what happened and I wanted their forgiveness. By the time I got there, his father had passed away,” Hawkins said.

Police interviewed all three suspects on the evening on Jan. 9 after Hawkins confessed. Redding Police Captain Eric Wallace said one of the Culvers also made a confession but did not specify which one, reported the news station.



Recommended Video:

Cookie-crazed squirrel attacks New York policemen

Follow Janita on Twitter: @janitakan