Bronx Teacher Found Dead in School Bathroom From Apparent Overdose
A public school teacher was found dead from an apparent overdose in a school in the Bronx on the evening of Thursday, Nov. 30.
The 36-year-old man was discovered on the bathroom floor inside Public School X811 in Crotona Park on Longfellow Avenue just before 6 p.m. Paramedics were called to the scene and pronounced him dead, the Daily News reported.
According to the newspaper, the teacher may have been dead for a few hours. The last time he was seen was at the end of the school day at the special education school. Students from grade six to 12 attend the school.
He was found by a staff member who had to force open the locked cubicle. Next to his body was drug paraphernalia and a glassine envelope with an unknown substance inside.
“This is deeply saddening and my heart goes out to the teacher’s family and the school community,” New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña told the Daily News.
“We will be providing grief counselors and ongoing resources to support students and staff during this difficult time,” Fariña added.
The teacher has not yet been identified pending family notification. The city medical examiner’s office will determine his exact cause of death, according to the newspaper.
We have a little favor to ask of you. We work hard to deliver important and interesting articles to you. Please help support independent journalism by sharing this article with your friends and family. It takes less than a minute. Thank you!