British Backpacker and Canadian Friend Found Dead in Cambodian Hostel

By John Smithies, Epoch Times
November 15, 2017 Updated: November 15, 2017    

A 22-year-old British backpacker has been found dead in a Cambodian hostel, along with her 27-year-old Canadian friend.

The pair reportedly died after they took medicine for an upset stomach.

Natalie Jade Seymour from Britain and Abbey Gail Amisola from Canada were found dead in the Monkey Republic Guest House in the southwestern city of Kampot.

Abbey Amisola was travelling with Natalie Seymour. (Facebook)

The two friends took tablets they bought at a chemist because they felt unwell, according to Natalie’s mother, Wendy Bowler.

Speaking to MailOnline, Bowler said Natalie had messaged her to say she wasn’t feeling well and “might go and get something to make her feel better.”

Unverified pictures released on the Cambodian Expats website appear to show white pills scattered on the floor next to bunk beds.

Unverified pictures released by the Cambodian Expats website appear to show tablets on the floor of the hostel. (Cambodian Expats)

Bowler said, “My daughter had already told me she wasn’t well and said she might go and get something to make her feel better.

“The hotel manager was going up and down with drinks and told them they should go to a medical centre.

“They decided to sleep it off but never woke up again.”

Natalie had left the UK on a one-way ticket to meet her friend Abbey Amisola in Cambodia.

Recent photos on Natalie’s Instagram account show she had travelled to Koh Thonsay island in the Gulf of Thailand three days ago.

Day out to Koh Thonsay island ?⛵️

A post shared by NATALIE SEYMOUR ? (@nataliejadeseymour) on

“She was staying in the Monkey Republic Guesthouse with her friend, they were doing all these sight-seeing things, she loved all that sort of stuff,” Bowler said.

“She told us everyday where she was going to be going and what she was going to be doing, she always really wanted to travel and just wanted a break from work.”

Shocked staff at the Monkey Republic Guesthouse rushed them to hospital but they could not be revived.

An employee of the hostel told MailOnline, “There is nothing suspicious about their deaths. One of the staff saw them last night and asked if they were going to eat in the restaurant, but they said they weren’t going to be eating. They did have a lot of water in their room. Everyone is very upset about it.”

The Foreign and Commonwealth office said they were in contact with local authorities to investigate Natalie’s death and would support her family.

In one of her final tweets from Nov. 2., Natalie wrote, “Figuring out where I want to travel to is so hard because I want to go everywhere and do everything.”