Boy Dies Inside Hot Car, 2nd Such Incident in Phoenix in 2 Days

July 30, 2017 Updated: July 30, 2017

Another child left in a hot car has died in Phoenix, the second one in the city in just two days. 

The infant was left inside the hot car for about two hours before he was found by his mother, the Phoenix Fire Department said Saturday, July 29.

According to Accuweather, temperatures on that day reached highs over 100 degrees Fahrenheit in Phoenix. 

Firefighters were called to the scene in the afternoon Saturday to investigate the report of a 1-year-old boy left in a hot car in a church’s parking lot near the city’s south side, ABC News reports. 

Phoenix police officer Sgt. Mercedes Fortune identified the dead child as Josiah Riggins. 

According to initial investigations by police, it appeared that the father was the one who left the boy, the Arizona Republic reports. 

“Our initial investigation is saying that the father forgot the baby was in the car,” Fortune said.

She said the child had been in the vehicle for “several hours” and was unresponsive when found. 

In a statement, Fire Capt. Larry Subervi said the mother found the child, who was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Police are still investigating and interviewing the parents to determine exactly what happened at the incident. 

No arrests had been made as of Saturday night, Fortune said.

“You feel like it’s something that could happen to anybody,” Zettica Mitchell, a cousin of the baby’s father told the Arizona Republic. “It’s shocking, devastating, just sad.”

The death comes just a day after authorities found a 7-month-old boy who died from being left in a hot car in a northeast Phoenix neighborhood. Police later identified the boy as Zane Endress who said he suffered from triple digit heat conditions, ABC reports

Emergency personnel were called to the scene around 4 p.m. on Friday, July 28, and the boy was pronounced dead a short time later, police said.

When the officers arrived, witnesses reported that the baby had been left behind in the vehicle for a several hours, according to ABC.