Boy, 11, Dies at Sleepaway Camp After Complaining of Stomach Cramps

July 13, 2017 Updated: July 13, 2017

The death of an 11-year-old boy is being investigated after he died at a sleepaway camp in Pennsylvania.

Daniel “Ae Roo” Beer had complained of stomach cramps and was treated at a camp infirmary on Sunday, July 9, before he was taken to a hospital in Port Jervis, New York. His symptoms then worsened, NorthJersey.com reported.

(Google Maps)
(Google Maps)

“It could have been food poisoning or a viral infection,” Pennsylvania State Trooper Mark Keyes told NorthJersey.com. “Carbon monoxide poisoning was ruled out. Everybody is leaning toward a viral infection.”

He died early on Monday after staying at Camp Nah-Jee-Wah in Milford, Pennsylvania. It is operated by NJY Camps.

“There are no words to describe the sudden loss of a young life. As we grieve together, please be assured we will be offering our full support to the family who has lost a son and to our camp community who has lost a fellow camper,” Leonard Robinson, the camp’s executive director, said in a statement, according to NBC New York.

The results of an autopsy have yet to be released. Three other children at the camp were sent to the emergency room.

The camp said it has provided grief counselors for the campers and staff members.